🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Impenetrable

Started by
23 comments, last by orionx103 20 years, 7 months ago
I forgot what it''s called unfortunately, but you may want to check out another game that''s doing something similar to avoid being called a copycat or worse.
Advertisement
the story sucks
...Britney Spears
I'll give you a beating like Rodney King who deserved it!=====================================Any and all ideas, theories, and text c2004,c2009 BrainDead Software. All Rights Reserved.
quote: Original post by drarem
...Britney Spears

I wouldn''t mind sucking Britney Spears, personally. But hey, whatever.

I like the idea of having underground tunnels, but my thinking would lead me to believe that too many tunnels would cause the towers to collapse. Maybe that could be part of the story, I''m not yet sure how.

I think part of the reason Gideon is the main character is because he''s unaffected. I mean, if he was trying to escape, why would he want to mutate himself before he left?

I was thinking of having a Tom, Dick, and Harry (referencing The Great Escape). Having tunnels leading out from each tower that would be the means of escape for the main characters. I think the Warden could stay alive and tell them about the tunnels and the way out, but be killed before any of them could figure out which tower he was talking about.

The guards could have a safe room, but be killed maybe? Like they went to investigate just as the mutants (I hate that word, really, because of it''s overuse) woke up, right after Gideon got to the yard. Gideon would be more prone to survive because the guards are guards, but he was special ops.
Don''t say mutants, say zombies. You never hear of them in games. ;D

The tunnels thing could work, but how would you do them? Personally, I''d like something like RE''s sewers... you know, cold, dank, but more claustrophobic. Not barely-able-to-turn-let-alone-escape-the-killer-thingy tight, but enough to be discomforting at the same time should you (inevitably) run into something down there.

Perhaps they could have been originally used to get the snipers to the towers? That way you could explain both how the inmates never knew about them and also how the towers couldn''t be infiltrated from either the wall or the ground.

SketchSoft OFFLINE | SketchNews | NewKlear Studios
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Perhaps these sewers are an old supply channel, made before there was helicopter access to the prison. After all, the guards wouldn''t want stow aways entering or escaping on a boat. And since the caverns would go mostly under the sea parts of the area, the prison would remain uneffected. The tunnels could go fairly deep down and then out, spiderlike, beyond the prison walls. This is where Polasky plans to launch his assault on the world (after all, why would he want to create a bunch of mutants if not for the purpose of world domination?), and as such, would be cavernous and palacelike, although made entirely out of earth. Near the end, I think Gideon shoud be chasing Polasky through the tunnels, and as he goes through a gorge, he drops the gun. You chase Polasky into the top of his tower, where you battle on the roof. For weapons, I''m thinking Gideon should pick up something like a hammer, or nail gun, or some other tool somewhere that he can use. Polasky, in average video game fashion, will have some great weapon, such as a gun, or perhaps an ax. Something that will be scary. I''d love to see a duel using a hammer and an ax.

Back to my main point, though, I think that a prison would be too small for all the action in this game, so you should find a way to include something else. I only suggested subterranian tunnels because they are somewhat scary, or can be made that way, and it is something moderately plausable. It could be anything, the escape boat takes you and a highly mutated Polasky to shore, where you fight at a large boat yard, or a warehouse, or a museum, or anything. The main thing is, get the player outside of the prison.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
"Mutants" imply that they were once human, but were changed in some way. "Zombies" implies they were once dead, and are now alive. That''s why I say mutants. And anyways, using "zombies" makes it sound like RE far more than I want it to.

I do like that idea, of tunnels leading to the sniper towers. But then, how would the towers lead to an escape.

Maybe the towers had walkie-talkies, so the snipers could communicate. Once the snipers are taken out, the walkie-talkies could be re-made to send signals out to a near-by city.
quote: Original post by RichardMV
This is where Polasky plans to launch his assault on the world (after all, why would he want to create a bunch of mutants if not for the purpose of world domination?), and as such, would be cavernous and palacelike, although made entirely out of earth. Near the end, I think Gideon shoud be chasing Polasky through the tunnels, and as he goes through a gorge, he drops the gun. You chase Polasky into the top of his tower, where you battle on the roof. For weapons, I''m thinking Gideon should pick up something like a hammer, or nail gun, or some other tool somewhere that he can use. Polasky, in average video game fashion, will have some great weapon, such as a gun, or perhaps an ax. Something that will be scary. I''d love to see a duel using a hammer and an ax.

To be honest, I don''t think that sounds all that great. The tunnels would have to go unbearably far down into the ground, and pretty far out if he was to reach land. I also don''t like the hammer and axe thing. I could see Polasky creating more of a rail gun-like weapon (like the one Fortune wields in MGS2), but not a simple axe or hammer. I also pictured Polasky as being old and frail, but I could change that.

As for the world domination thing, nah. I think he just gets off on causing as much chaos as possible, and if that means it''s limited to the walls of his maximum security prison, so be it.

quote: Original post by RolandofGilead
I forgot what it''s called unfortunately, but you may want to check out another game that''s doing something similar to avoid being called a copycat or worse.

When you think of it, I''d like to know what it is.

If your planning on killing most of the guards anyway, why not do it in a heroic fashion possible one that also requires movie making skills but still how about this. The Main character after gaining access to the security room looks at one of the security camera monitors and see an exciting cut scene. Consiting of the guards in desperate battle to hold the helicopter pad before the prisoners overwhelm them and cause the helicopter come crashing into the ground. Thus eliminating the only means of escape the character knows of.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement