🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Reply even if someone else has! Questions for you.

Started by
13 comments, last by Lynck 23 years, 11 months ago
My game is coming out pretty good. It is tile based, and the editor is someone elses, he let me use it, and it allows tons of stuff for you to do. I am making my game like Chrono Trigger, and FF5 and games like that. The questions I have are: 1. Should I have Day-Night cycling? In games I''ve seen, it does day-night cycling, but at night time, kids are still playing out in the fields and say what a beautiful day it is! I am intending to change that, but that takes more time.. Should i do it? 2. Random Weather? Like the above. In games i''ve seen, if it is raining, people are walking around saying Hello, Welcome to Stupid Town, where we do stupid things. Also, NO PUDDLES! I never see any puddles when it rains! 3. Side Quests. What do you think of them? 4. First person, or side view battle? First person it would should just the monster and when you attack, your character runs up and attacks. Side view, you allows see your character, and your characters runs up to the enemy and attack. Also, if there is a big war, in the background I am thinking of showing NPCs battling it out while you battle. So, waddya think? 5. If you are on a cliff edge, should you be allowed to jump off? 6. Should there be a picture of the character''s face next to what he/she is saying? That way you can tell who it is... 7. Reply even if other people have. I want to see what YOU think about these questions.
Advertisement
Okay, first off, these are all just my opinions, and the only experience I have to go on is that I love this type of game! Now, in response to your questions:
1) Day-Night Cycling is very cool, but only if it has some affect on the story line. For example, your character might have to steal something, and he can only break in at night, that sort of thing. The big problem with this cycle is that I would assume it doubles the data neccesary for every area. You basically have to change the graphics, the positions of each NPC, their dialogue, possible events, etc. In other words, you have to create two towns: Stupid Town Day and Stupid Town Night. Since your game is 2D, this might not be a big issue, since each area might only require a small amount of data. I would say, if you have the time, and your game doesn''t already require 500MB of hard drive space, do it and do it right.
2)My response to this one is pretty much the same as #1. Weather systems require more data for each area, but they are very cool. Once again, if it''s there, fit it into the story line somehow.
3)Side quests should definately be included. From my experience, side quests usually result in getting some supercool item or weapon, or even a secret character. Or even better, you could have different endings depending on what side quests were completed!
4)Personally, I''m partial to 3rd person. I like being able to see the status of my characters at all times. If a character is poison, then I want to be able to see kneeling over and turning green while someone else is attacking. ChronoTrigger has the coolest battle mode I''ve ever seen, but that is probably very complicated to make.
5)Yes and No. They shouldn''t be allowed all the time, just at designated spots that actually lead to somewhere else. This is how I''ve seen it done in most games.
6)This is definately a cool idea, probably better than just showing the name. Maybe a Picture with the Name as a caption would be more effective.
7)I''m the first!
Sorry this was so long, hope this helps you, feel free not to follow any of my comments or just some of them, and definately let me know when this game is ready!

-Diego
Check out my cool games at:
http://staticlounge.tripod.com/
-Diego"What is wrong with the world today, the government, the media, or your family?"~Papa Roach
Well, I am glad someone replied so quick! BTW, the program I am using, it was made by the Japanese, and then someone else translated it and it is avaliable for free. So, it has to be freeware. But, not many people will pay 20 bucks to play a SNES type game on the computer when a totally 3D game is waiting at Wall Mart.. At least that is what my friends say. Well, keep posting!
1. Should I have Day-Night cycling?
2. Random Weather?

is this your first game? If so start small. Maybe make a version of the game without these things and then make a better version of the same game with these new features added.

3. Side Quests. What do you think of them?

In moderation, yes they are nice. However the main story should be completely in the main quests, the side quests should just be fun diversions. Otherwise someone might miss part of the story if they don''t bother with the side quests.

6. Should there be a picture

yeah that''d be cool. There are other good ways to do it too, whatever you want will work
1. No
2. No
3. Lots of Side Quests!!! Let them range from easy to hard to find. This way you''ll always wonder if there''s more. An RPG addict will love this, believe me
4. No
5. No
6. Yes

You can always add more, it can always be better. You can implement all of your options and even more, but maybe not?!
It may be better to focus on the important things, and make these perfect...!

quote: Original post by Lynck
1. Should I have Day-Night cycling? In games I've seen, it does day-night cycling, but at night time, kids are still playing out in the fields and say what a beautiful day it is! I am intending to change that, but that takes more time.. Should i do it?
2. Random Weather? Like the above. In games i've seen, if it is raining, people are walking around saying Hello, Welcome to Stupid Town, where we do stupid things. Also, NO PUDDLES! I never see any puddles when it rains!

These should definetly be a high priority. They add such rich immersion IMO.

BTW, that's a great point. Why the hell do ppl walk around when it's raining?

quote:

Absolutely

quote:
4. First person, or side view battle? First person it would should just the monster and when you attack, your character runs up and attacks. Side view, you allows see your character, and your characters runs up to the enemy and attack. Also, if there is a big war, in the background I am thinking of showing NPCs battling it out while you battle. So, waddya think?

3rd person is best because it allows more ranged combat.

quote:
5. If you are on a cliff edge, should you be allowed to jump off?

it's ok, but I think there should be some warning to make sure the person doesn't accidently fall off

quote:
6. Should there be a picture of the character's face next to what he/she is saying? That way you can tell who it is...

yes, good idea

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix

Edited by - Nazrix on July 15, 2000 1:19:35 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by Lynck

1. Should I have Day-Night cycling? In games I've seen, it does day-night cycling, but at night time, kids are still playing out in the fields and say what a beautiful day it is! I am intending to change that, but that takes more time.. Should i do it?

Maybe if it affected storyline and gameplay. If not, don't, because if you're doing something that doesn't really have that much value, you're not doing the things that are important.

quote:
2. Random Weather? Like the above. In games i've seen, if it is raining, people are walking around saying Hello, Welcome to Stupid Town, where we do stupid things. Also, NO PUDDLES! I never see any puddles when it rains!

It would add ambience, but I wouldn't suggest it unless it influenced gameplay. But it is good eye candy. Just make sure that the NPCs realize it's raining.

quote:

Sounds cool

quote:
4. First person, or side view battle? First person it would should just the monster and when you attack, your character runs up and attacks. Side view, you allows see your character, and your characters runs up to the enemy and attack. Also, if there is a big war, in the background I am thinking of showing NPCs battling it out while you battle. So, waddya think?

Hmmm... First Person sounds cool, I think it was Ultima Underworld that used it. Of course, sideview sounds good too, but do you mean Arcade style?

quote:
5. If you are on a cliff edge, should you be allowed to jump off?

Hey, it's their life.

quote:
6. Should there be a picture of the character's face next to what he/she is saying? That way you can tell who it is...

Sounds good.

quote:
7. Reply even if other people have. I want to see what YOU think about these questions.

I think I just did.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.

Edited by - DarkMage139 on July 15, 2000 8:55:57 AM
- DarkMage139
Ok, thanx for the replies. In answer to some of your questions, here they are:
This is not the first game I made. I have made about 5, all RPGs and all with this program I am using so I am very familiar with the layout and everything. My first game did not start out small, and I don''t understand why people say to start out small. I had ADVANCED combination systems, and stuff. But, all my games were deleted off my computer by a VIRUS!
Well, the battle system will be like Final Fantasy 5, kinda. I have made my decision. But, I am also leaning towards Chrono Trigger battle system.
So, Keep Postin!
1. (D/N Cycle) > If you're willing to do the work required to make sure people don't say stupid stuff, by all means, go ahead.

2. (Weather) > Again, its a nice touch, just depends on how much work you want to do. Tying it in w/ the plot somehow might be nice too (i.e, maybe you can only revive the ancient magic fuzzball during a lightningstorm a'la the 'frankenstien' thingy)

3. (Side-Quests) > Lay 'em on me! The more, the better! Just make sure they're possible to find (I.e, don't make one where you have to be at the exact right place at the exact right time, without even so much as a little hint that it even exists). As for rewards for completing SQs, I personally like a little bit added to the plot, like you'd find out more about a character's past or something. Items are nice too.

4. (Battle) No real preference.

5. (Cliff jumping?) Uh, sure. Not high cliffs though. I don't wanna die because I accidently hit the '<-' button too long.

6. (Pics) Sure, quite a few games have done this, and I always find it to be a nice touch.

Edited by - A. Buza on July 17, 2000 12:14:00 AM
I am starting to construct my first RPG using isometrics, all those ideas are cool. And I like real time battle systems, and nothing puny, I like hard realtime battle systems where the enemies can kick my ass, perhaps difficulty levels, hey, maybe i'll do that =) but real time systems are so much better than picking commands, at least that way the player is involved.

Damn... I just got some ideas, perhaps you can use some of these yourself, an environmental system can be put in place, possibly implemented as a C++ finite state machine, NPC AI can have access to this and perhaps judge the environment and make decisions, for instance, if you classify an environment as volatile, npcs will probably stay away, if it is raining, they will seek shelter. Although altering speach to this will be a bit hard, it can certainly affect movements.

- Tom
olp-fan@home.com

Edited by - olp-fan on July 17, 2000 12:55:53 AM
Rock on,- Tom

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement