🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

In the future....

Started by
15 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 11 months ago
What do you think of making RPGs set in the future? We''re always talking about goblins and knights, and discussing weaponry. Let''s talk about something else for a change! - DarkMage139 ++++++++++++++++ I can do things, things you never knew, I can change your world if you only knew. I can do miracles if you want me to. Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
Well Now,

I think a Syndicate style RPG would be good. Magic would be replaced by things like short range transporters, orbital weapons, Shields & lightning guns e.t.c. Well thats my idea.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
RPGs in the future could have a lot of room for exploration because not a lot of people do it. The one thing that I get tired of is the future where the world has been destroyed by nuclear war. It''s cool but there''s been too many books/movies about it.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Three words for you. Shad ow Run.
Hehe...Actually, I''m Half-way way in the DD for a futuristic RPG/Adventure with the same gaming-concept as Diablo...

If you''re interested take a look at Monark

Patrik Wixner
Ethereal
Have you ever played Chrono Trigger? That game is set in 4 different eras, ranging from pre-historic to the future.
In general, the lack of original thought put into RPG settings is ridiculous. Almost all games have medieval fantasy trappings straight out of D&D. The 10% or so that don''t fit that mold go with sci fi, frequently involving a time travel theme. Discussion on RPG design get stale quickly, because it''s like a group of authors debating whether they should write like Danielle Steele or Pat Booth.
I think one of the biggest problems with making a futuristic game is making it believable. But apart from that i personally think that developers should be "going where no man has been before" with their ideas on how the future could turn out.

Whats happening to all the creativity in the industry anyhow?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
The creativity in the industry is being wasted as far as I can tell - but there is definitely plenty of it!

I think that future RPGs are neglected because the hardcore RPG circuit that most RPGs sell alot of their units to won''t respond to the future setting, and it''s hard to ge the more future based market of first person shooter players to respond to the RPG elements of an RPG. Maybe in a post apocalyptic...(hah why WHY???)...maybe not

Actually - another problem is that in the future the power of the individual is alot less, try coming up with a plot where the character changes the entire world Or an entire "kingdom" (country). It''s quite difficult to achieve, and it''s this lack of grand feeling of accomplishment that drives alot of future RPGs into the dirt. This is why a semi-rpg set in the future lie System Shock was well received because it took the player into the future and put them in a world saving situation. Unfortunately it didn''t have enuff RPG elements that hardcore RPGers could recognise so it got largely ignored.

If only the world had taken after System Shock instead of Doom - how different the games industry would be today!
//Have you ever played Chrono Trigger? That game is set in 4 different eras, ranging from pre-historic to the future. \\

( I''m not sure how to make quotes )

To the person who wrote this Chrono Trigger actually takes place in 5 time eras, not 4.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement