🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need Review and help of game idea.

Started by
1 comment, last by Abbacabba 20 years, 7 months ago
-3D RPG style game- I''m starting out on the Game path and would really like to create something that could grow without my help. What I am envisioning is something akin to Morrowinds Construction set. I would get the 3D, Input, Gameplay, Physics engine put together. Then create maybe a small land mass and basic town to show what can be done. Then release and let the community at large build it up by adding their own piece/town/city''s... along with items/quests/graphics/animations.. This is just a basic idea and I really think I would have fun creating an addon if someone else came up with it. Well... What does everyone think?
Advertisement
Making something that generic would be quite an undertaking, plus not having anything there to begin with is unlikely to inspire people to create mods for it.

If you are just starting out on the Game path as you say, begin with small achievable goals. You would be suprised about how long a game of draughts or a breakout clone takes to cook up from scratch.

Getting something completed will give you a code base to build on to make something more complex. Building up your own library of useful functions is the key.

People often get caught in the "engine tar pit" - and never actually finish anything that''s a game, or even a demo. Get something done, and then you can always improve the architecture and rip out bits and bobs from that project and put it into your next one.

Don''t get caught up in the C++ snobbery either - yeah it''s flexible and fast - but it also lets you do some damn silly things. If you aren''t even familiar with a language, consider an RAD one like Java or C# so you can concentrate on decent design and content rather then spending ages finding out where you forgot to release that COM handle, and why your computer seems to loose 3 meg everytime you open and close the thing.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
I''m doing DX9 through C#.

I''m no expert in it though. I am a software programmer and have been doing programming for many years with C/C++.

I just think that managed code has much more potential(if done correctly).

I also have some basics done.. I have handle(using DX9) input, 3d graphics(meshes/no animation yet), and sound.

Right now I''m trying to get a good handle on creating something worthy of calling a "GAME ENGINE". no where near that.

And the idea is far reaching. I really want a tool I can use to draw up 3d maps for some play by email D&D.

as in the dm would draw the ''cave of death(tm)'' place the monsters, players figures down and mail that to the players who would get a very realistic picture of whats going on.

This would only be needed every once and awhile, and once I have that going I want to turn to more of a classic "Game" interface.

but leaving it open for community mods to easily be placed.
And perhaps haveing no true path to completion, there could be many ways to reach "the end".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement