🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

game writing

Started by
8 comments, last by arka 20 years, 6 months ago
hi guys. ive got a poser for you. it may not exactly be limited just to writing,but nonetheless id like to put it here.i am a game designer/writer with an indian game dev house- you probably have not heard of us,but you probably soon will. now im just trying to do a kind of pulse feeler here- what would your reaction be to the concept of an "indian game development studio"?and i mean a complete,ground-up game house, were not just trying to get some (shudder)outsourced work, so dont imagine were after your jobs or something, but honestly,would you buy a game conceived and built in india? my second question is about third party game designing and writing companies- how does the whole concept work? is it just that you tie up with one or more publishers or game dev studios and they just tell you "we wanna game" and you do it from the concept up(maybe from a storehouse of concept and design-docs that you maintain), or do they come to you with the germ of an idea and you take it from there. i would like to know more about the mechanism of the whole process Logos Incarnatus
Logos Incarnatus
Advertisement
quote: Original post by arka
hi guys. ive got a poser for you. it may not exactly be limited just to writing,but nonetheless id like to put it here.i am a game designer/writer with an indian game dev house- you probably have not heard of us,but you probably soon will.

If you want what we hear about you to be good, you really need to learn to use English properly. You know, the punctuation, capitalization-- I learn about it in elementary. It''s coming in handy here in high school too. And maybe you don''t even need to use every little rule of the English language. Hey, use slang and words that people say aren''t right. I don''t care. It''s just that it''s hard to imagine someone who writes like you creating something I''d want to partake in, beit a book or game.
ahemmm ... orinonX. And how is your Indian ? You learnt it in school too ? Please dont be so rude on people who are not native English speakers, it''s very impolite, and it gives me an excuse to be a asshole towards native speakers who cant spell or write (since I am not a native speaker myself).
You know, a bit of peace and understanding...

arka : I have one word for you : Bollywood !
If the cinema industry in India has managed (and still is AFAIK) to stay independent and produce so many movies. Why on Earth couldnt it be the same for games ?
Look at the Asian market, look at Korea and their millions of players (I remember reading that Lineage is the most played MMORPG in the world, with millions of players, in vast majority Koreans) that we Europeans never heard of. They are making money arent they ?

Now I have a feeling that you are posting in the wrong section.
Maybe the "Business" forum, or maybe the *shudder* Lounge could point you in the right direction ?

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Actualy, orionx103 does have a point in regards to writing proper English. I don''t think that it is as big of a deal on a message board as it is in a game, but it''s important to be able to get your ideas across clearly. Reading arka''s post was a little difficult because of the grammar and lack of punctuation. It''s not a slam on arka, just something that he''ll want to make sure doens''t occcur in any game he releases.

As to the actual point, I don''t think most people really care where a game comes from, so long as it is a quality game. US gamers are used to lots of games coming from Japan, Canada and the UK. Serious Sam was written by the Cro-Team, a group from Croatia. In the US, there doesn''t seem to be any dislike of games written in other countries.

Third party studios normally have a game of their own that they''re building for a specific platform or for multiple platforms. They then find a publisher willing to actually spend money to have the game finished and released. I don''t think that publishers generally give design docs to the dov studios, however they will suggest changes that need to occur before they will pay for it.
AIM: Uugengiven
quote: Original post by orionx103

If you want what we hear about you to be good, you really need to learn to use English properly. You know, the punctuation, capitalization-- I learn about it in elementary. It''s coming in handy here in high school too. And maybe you don''t even need to use every little rule of the English language. Hey, use slang and words that people say aren''t right. I don''t care. It''s just that it''s hard to imagine someone who writes like you creating something I''d want to partake in, beit a book or game.

hi orion(oops, no capitalization),

first of all, a big thank you . i am slightly confused about how exactly you construe "proper usage", but none the less i do appreciate the effort youve made to enlighten me-poor benighted brown skinned soul that i am.just to make a feeble attempt at a clarification, i thought the accuracy of capitalization, spelling and to some extent grammar was not exactly a sine qua non, as far as cyber-communication was concened, but obviously i was mistaken.btw, or if you prefer, by the way, would you call this accurate grammarr:"I learn about it in elementary".looking at the context, it seems to me you tried to say "i learnt". yes, my friend, so did i, and i have done all my schooling with english as my first language, although following the british and not the american, system of pronunciation and spelling,(both of which, incidentally, i consider to be abominations),i.e., i like the colour blue, not the color blue, and i do not use retroflex l''s and r''s while pronouncing colour, but use the approximant l and r.but still, im not american,and therefore automatically unqualified to use the english language i guess, notwithstanding the fact that a pullitzer and a nobel prize winner in the last three years were both indians, and notwithstanding the fact that i happen to be a phonetics teacher and a person with a not inconsiderable knowledge of english linguistics and etymology. i probably have a better knowledge of your country''s(which, incidentally, i respect for it sfounding values above all other nations on earth)history and evolution than most of your countrymen, but that also , is immaterial, isnt it? to end, id just like to present a xmall sample of one of my lesser poetic efforts- maybe you could have fun with this, lampoonng the pretentiousness of illiterate indians, but here goes:-

For a poem is not the Wrd made flesh,
But the pulsing,fleeting flesh made Word;
A wild yell against the gloom,the pall
A rebel footprint on the winds of time.

It is the stilled shadow of the yearning song,
An echo of joy,like raindrops on silent water;
A vision seen through the hazes of a dream,
The human soul, paused in soaring flight.

A poem is a woman, in all her radiant glory,
A poem is a man, in all his mordant wanting;
A poem is the desperate embrace of lovers,
Their quivering sorrow, their salvation, and their love.

before i sign off, i would like to say to things-my typing stinks,so no wonder the spelling looks like ancient high-elven,and secondly, orion, i absolutely agree with you, its very hard for me to imagine someone like you partaking of(partake in is wrong english-you probably need to go back to english vocabulary for dummies)something i have written.

Sincerely,
arka

Logos Incarnatus
Logos Incarnatus
As for whether or not I''d buy a game from India, sure. I, myself, would use a lot of what I would consider Hindu mythology in the game to produce a more original feel, as well as Indian names and such. Were you planning on making a certain type of game or was the question broad enough to cover all genres? I''d probably stick to the genre I like: RPG.
india!! dude INDIA!!!

you have NO right to FAIL making a game!!!
actually i have expect for a rise of indian game because they has 2000 years of thinking on video game design :D

yes! yes! all the hindu philosophy is about video games

quote: Imagine sitting in front of a television set, watching all sorts of pictures projected on the screen of the picture tube. Some of these pictures are of rain, murder, gun shots, romance, and so on. When the show is over, the screen neither becomes wet from the rain, nor has blood from the murder, nor bullet holes from the gun shots, nor emotions from the romance. The screen itself is clean and unchanging; for the projections are unreal, and the screen is real.
The mind is the creation that arises out of the Self. We are this screen. All the manifestation we see on this screen is the projection of our Vaasnaas (past habits or undigested desires) that fall across our mind. This projection of Vaasnaas causes us to identify ourselves as the projected watcher of the movie. The problem starts the moment we run after the projections thinking they are real. With this delusion (or duality) comes the perception that the seer is different than the seeing and seen. But in reality, the "seer", "seeing" and "seen" are one and the same!

really with all the mythological background you have it would be easy to come with something new and close to the experiance of video games

for ex: matrix is great rip off of the MAYA and the leelaa, those with the hindu knowledge DON''T have the same understanding of the movie, the matrix is a matrix itself

the experiance of the gamer is alredy describe by this phylosophie it''s so GREAT

man i''m THAT FAN

quote:

There is really only one game, the game
in which each of us is a player acting out his role. The
game is Leela, the universal play of cosmic energy. Leela
is divine play. It is present in the nature of the Supreme
Self. It is this playful nature which creates the world
of names and forms - the phenomenal world. Leela is life
itself, energy expressed as the myriad forms and feelings
presented continuously to the self.

The essence of the player is his
ability to become, to adopt a role. That which is the essence
of the player can enter into any role. But once the player
enters into the game, once he assumes the identity of the
persona he adopts, he loses sight of his true nature, and
gets caught by maya (illusion). He forgets the essence of
what it is to play the game. His moves are decided by the
karma die.

The purpose of this small game
is to help the player gain this ability to withdraw from his
identifications and see how he might become a better player.
For this game is a microcosm of the larger game. Contained
within the seventy-two spaces of the game- board is the essence
of thousands of years of self-exploration, the heart of Indian
tradition.

As the player moves from space
to space, square to square, he begins to see patterns in his
own existence, emerging with ever-deepening clarity as his
understanding of the game broadens. His sense of detachment
grows as he sees each stage as temporary, some thing to move
beyond. And once the temporality of any space becomes a reality
for the player, he can detach from that space, let it go as
he seeks to discover ever more about the wonder that is Being.

As with all games, here too there
is a goal, an object to be attained. Because the essence of
the player is his ability to identify, his only chance of
''winning'' the game is to identify with that which is his Source.
This is Cosmic Consciousness, the essence of pure Being, which
transcends time and space and knows no limits, is infinite,
absolute, eternal, changeless, the All, without attributes,
beyond both name and form. The game ends when the player becomes
himself, the essence of play. This is Leela.

Neither the author nor the date
of origin of the game we now call Leela is known. As a general
rule in the Indian literary tradition, the name of the author
is considered unimportant. He is but the pen in the hands
of God, a tool of expression; and so the name has not been
recorded. The influences apparent in the formulation of the
game point to an age of at least 2,000 years. The creators
of the game saw it foremost as a tool for understanding the
relationship of the individual self to the Absolute Self.

you should know for pareidolia as well

i have a far root in india then....
maybe some day i would come there

there is also a slight rise (a return to be exact) to indian influance through the world (even matrix 3 has is hindu and a lot of music reuse some sample from indian music)

i would like to here how far you have gone and see sample of what you did to see if can find the HINDU FEEL (not mean 100% indian culture content it''s only depend to your taste)
oh ''im not native english...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
hey orion,

the question was meant to cover all genres, but did also pertain to our current project, of course. Now, all i can say at this point of time is that it does have elements of rpg, but is not strictly genre specific- the USP of our game is probably its layered soryline, and whatever genre suits a particualr part of the story is implemented, not in ad ad-hoc manner of course, but within a smooth fabric. as for the hindu mythology bit, youll probably be disappointed there, because the setting is not india but elsewhere, so you will not find any direct indian elements, though you may find shadows of those aspects of hindu mythology which i think are true, in as much as they apply to the universal human condition. But do see my other post about indian- themed games

Logos Incarnatus
Logos Incarnatus
martinique, this ones got to do with your post. i''d love to share the story and all with you, but i cannot at this point of time, though very soon i will be. meanwhile, all you guys arre welcome to check out the website, though it has not been updated since the late jurassic period. but a few general clarifications, the game were doing right now is not based in an indian setting, nor is it directly influenced by hindu philosophy- though we plan to do that in the near future. but for the present, we are basing it on the, yes, you guessed it, european epic/myth . another thing, dont necessarily equate india with hindu- there probably are more christians and muslims india than in many christian or muslim nations. and even all of us hindus are not mystics or something- most of us at raptor are atheists, for example. although personally i am influenced by those aspects of vedic philosophy that i consider to have universal human truth. the song that you hear at the end of the matrix revolutions, for example- asatho ma sadgamayo, tamaso ma jyotirgamayo, mriturn ma amrutamgamayo, om shanti- take me from evil to good , darkness to light, death to immortality. let there be peace
Logos Incarnatus
oups, my name is not martinique (call me neoshaman) it''s my island name LOL
however i have realize this in the end of my post that the game may not have hindu content, however, it would be a great add to make the difference (since india culture is enough know and appreciate), as indies indian gamedesigner, making the difference with the major is important to be remark, at least making a game for only publicity before (like a provocation) like alice mc gee as done (a common fps/platform in a strange settings )

however i have a story base on hindu concept hide with regular setting and which is called SPLINTER GEAR (yes it''s a cross with metal gear and splinter cell, the reason is that he make a parallel with the experiance of the play and video game, and i use and play with player''s memory and culture as symbol of the theme, it''s a trilogy which the principal character end up half a goddess)
the main character is call Max Kina and everyone called her "deus" in fact she was genetically create (max is from james cameroun''s dark angel where the main character was also genetically create, max is also a dim of maximum and kina is from kine which mean mouvement, since the character use choregraphic martial art...) the name of the program which create her was excell (extreme cell and excellance) that''s why sometimes people refer at her as "deus ex max kina" (deus ex machina, god is in the machine, that i''ve translate as ghost in the shell, and it''s a proceder of storytelling where something unexpected arrive to save in extremis the situation when there is no exit, aka a definition of common hero)
in the 1st episode we deal with conspiracy of governement and a sect which want to revive past god, and in the 2nd we deal with a cosmic menace and turn into something like a space opera (and she will master the ability to go faster than time), while the third is whole cosmos as playful play ground (can jump from planet to galaxie in one jump) and she will reach the cosmic dance of things and will dissolve in the whole universe and then will encounter the creator of everythings, the mass energy or whatever you call it (god, nature, space etc...)

then the first game is an action adventure while the other make the gameplay out his boundaries while keeping the same bases

did someone would want to hear more?? i have not finish the synopsis of the 2ND and the 3RD yet while the 1st is almost done, only have to expand

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement