🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

NPCs

Started by
3 comments, last by Operator 20 years, 6 months ago
Okay, I''m currently doing the writing for an RPG set in a timeline that bridges the gap between a mideval setting (like the early Final Fantasies) and the 1800''s. The story is pretty involved, so I won''t get into it here but the central social dynamic centers around the conflict between the modern and traditional elements in the world''s society. There is a (small) addendum, wherein we have included the use of magic (through a rather cunning missapplication of M-Theory, I might add!), but it is rather akin to high science and is on par with the ''traditional'' military technology of the day, i.e. guns. So, the question I''m posing to this fine community is as such: What is the most compelling thing you would want to see in NPCs in the game? Is it people going about their day-to-day jobs? People discussing local gossip, or the news? Or the standard "There''s a spooky tree in the forest. I think you should see if there''s a demon in it."? Which makes for a better game? Which is more dynamic from a storytelling point of view? I''ve currently been wrestling with this problem and I''d like to hear your ideas on this. Cheers, -Operator
Advertisement
well i'm aiming to see a damn good game which just break our beleif in a good way, a game which would surprise in the little thing i think wouldn't be good or i will never guess about how fun it is,

but yeah! this won't help you

don't think to much, just polish the game until you are satisfy, try and experiment

edit >>> DON'T THINK ABOUT A BETTER GAME JUST MAKE THE GAME RIGHT, BUT YOUR HEART IN IT AND FORGET ABOUT EVERYTHING, LOSE YOUSELF IN THE DESIGN

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[edited by - Neoshaman on December 9, 2003 1:20:23 AM]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I personally like to see NPCs who react emotionally to things the characters say. Like you could hot on the girl who runs the tavern and she could slap you or blush depending on who you are and how you made the attempt.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Yes, that''s a good suggestion sunandshadow, but I want to know what gets YOU hooked. I can remember only a handful of games where the little elements of the story had me believing in the ''world'' that the game was set in. Are emotional reactions the only one of those things, or are there other little details that I can write in to make the world more convincing and interesting? It would remain rather difficult to program in enough interactivity in the NPCs to make emotional responses alone an important part of the game. If there''s not enough, it might just seem tawdry. So, what ideas, debates and oratory would make a world ''come alive''?

Cheers,
-Operator
This is kind of straight out of the Dungeons & Dragons DM Guide, but I find it to still be true:

To create a realistic world, the NPC's have to progress themselves. Let's say the player encounters someone in the game who is building a shed out behind their house. The player talks with them, the guy tells what the shed will be for, etc. After the players go on some journey and return to the city, that shed should show some progress towards being finished. The guy working on it could have stayed up all night trying to finish it, maybe he's not quite done, maybe he's out of wood and needs the player to go get him some, or something. Basic things like that will make it appear as if the NPC's have lives of their owns, instead of having everything revolve around the player.

The one example I think the DM Guide used was something along the lines of this:

The player has met a bartender in a local tavern, and becomes fairly good friends with him. Well, one day when they return, they see a different man behind the counter. After talking with him, they find that it's the bartenders brother or cousin, and that the bartender has gone to visit another town and will be back next Tuesday or something.

Again, the main element here is to show NPCs progressing as well. Hope this helps.

[edited by - omega147 on December 10, 2003 11:11:40 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement