Advertisement

License question regarding mingw + stl

Started by December 23, 2003 12:43 AM
1 comment, last by TheSalmon 20 years, 8 months ago
I was going through the stl headers that come with the mingw port of gcc and noticed that they are licensed under the gpl, this lead me to believe that my code would have to be gpl''d as well. However there is one additional paragraph that I''m not sure how to interpret: (quote) As a special exception, you may use this file as part of a free software library without restriction. Specifically, if other files instantiate templates or use macros or inline functions from this file, or you compile this file and link it with other files to produce an executable, this file does not by itself cause the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License. This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why the executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License. (end quote) Basically what I''m asking is if #include <iostream> == GPL when using the mingw port?
---Mikael Lax
Basically what I'm asking is if #include <iostream> == GPL when using the mingw port?

No.

[edited by - Fruny on December 23, 2003 1:57:54 AM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
Ok, thanks man.
---Mikael Lax

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement