Advertisement

what do you think of this drum track?

Started by December 28, 2003 02:15 AM
9 comments, last by jeffie7 20 years, 8 months ago
This is a short demo I tossed together tonight first time using this keyboard let alone drum kit the main thing to keep an ear out for is the snare when its doing I guess its called a snare roll anyways let me know what you think and how I could better it http://home.comcast.net/~jeffie7/2nd.mp3
by strange coincidence that sounds like a certain 80''s chart hit (if not all of them )

don''t really know what part you specifically meant as ''the'' fill, but drum programming.. stop by a music forum and ask the breaks guys.. hem and haw about the subtleties of snare programming for years they will.. try www.dancetech.com or kvr-vst for endless ''advice'' (loads of old threads to read.. prolly a few articles at dt)

- prolly the most common advice re: snares is ''ghost'' hits, programmed on a ~subaudible level.. then you get into pushing and pulling beats fwd/back..

only listened on phones (not my reference*) but i can''t see where any non-muso/drummer should find fault with it.. musically it performs it''s duties.. your articulations are varied, so not repetitive.. *bit hard for me to tell if there''s any ''balance'' between the hits.. i tend to program one ie. a bit louder than the other et c. et c.
neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net
Advertisement
The drums sound pretty good.

I''d kill myself before I played that bass line. Especially with that tone. Arg. The fast parts are good, but the main line stinks... It''s really just the one fast, high note (I think it''s the fifth...), but I don''t like it.

The strings sound good! The brass/woodwinds/piano near the end doesn''t sound as good (I can''t tell what it''s supposed to be, although I like the part, I can''t imagine that being a good tone on ANY instrument).

Anyways, I like it. Ditto on the 80''s music.

_Geo.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
thanks for the replys =) I tossed that demo clip together right after I got my setup to work even now Im still trying to figure out all the different sounds I love my board =)

I just can''t get over how good the snares sound keep in mind there was NO editing done whatsoever "other then quantizing (sp)" to the drums everything else was played and rec live

This is something I put together for a computer game that should be out the 1st of jan

www.jeffnortham.com/cas.mp3

its for a puzzle game kinda like snood with a castle background

=)
The music is absolutely PERFECT for a castle game... The opening line rocks... As well does the part just a little over halfway through (plucked strings?)... Awesome!

The ending is a little odd, but I assume it''s going to loop (or something of like ilk, anyways).

Have you posted any music clips here before...? (I have a notoriously short memory for many things) Just curious.

You''ve got a great talent and a great ear, as well. (Nice setup, too. Enjoy it!) Good luck... and I want to play that game...

_GEo.
RHS Band...
the castle.mp3 will be looped

so get this..... that first MP3 I posted was in MONO Im a dumb#@$ and after trying to figure why my piano sounds were so bad sounding I found that I had everything set to mono on the mixer....

so anyways now it sounds WAY better

the castle mp3 might even be in mono I cant remember if that was pre/post finding out about the mono problem

check this out Im working on this song for my own use "cd" this is the start of a song

www.jeffnortham.com/pianosynth.mp3

also you can check out my site at www.jeffnortham.com

be warned the webpage was from my old angelfire site I am just now starting to redo the whole page as with replacing all of the old MP3s

Have a good night

Jeff

"edit" p.s I just checked cas.mp3 and yes it was done in mono =( ohwell it still works fine for the game

[edited by - jeffie7 on December 31, 2003 2:32:07 AM]
Advertisement
Cool! The chorus? effect on the strings? is a little weird (to me), and the drums are a little sudden (maybe a little fill to lead in?), but I like it.

Hope the new site looks better... It could use some help...

Again, I sure like your stuff.

I''m going to go and kill this #$%@ing monitor gnat thats fluttering around, but I''ll reply some later...

_GEo.
Yeah.
Jeff, you mean you''re actually being paid to appear on a game which is being released by sending them such an amateur piece of music?
Man, check out my shit at http://micktaylormuzik.tripod.com And I''m totally unemployed and living on instant noodles!
Cool music for FILM, GAMES, MULTIMEDIA.Free mp3 samples at:http://micktaylormuzik.tripod.com
First off my webpage is being redone almost all the mp3s you see on there "other then the yamdemo and castle mp3" were made from when I was anywhere from 15 to 19 years old

Im not getting paid anything most of the songs were done at night when ever I had a free chance

if it were a real "paid" project I would have put some real time into it

working 40+ hours a week gym 6 days a week and Karate 2-3 times a week

I would hope your stuff sounds better then mine since I get to work on my music 2-3am at night before I have to wake up the next day in the am to open at work

4-6 hours of sleep is enough right?

=)

"quote" I'm totally unemployed and living on instant noodles! "end quote"

if only I could not have a job and work on music all day I think that would be the life but as with most people I have MANY bills to pay at the end of the month =( being unemployed is NOT an option atlest you have time to put into your music

[edited by - jeffie7 on January 2, 2004 1:51:34 PM]
Hey man, no probs. I was just being a prick and trying to stir up some excitement on this forum. I''m surprised you didn''t reply and call me an arsehole. I was expecting it. I know where you''re coming from with the free time issue. Do you live in the US? Here in Australia we''re kinda lucky because we get a welfare payment which allows me to work very little if at all so I can concentrate on music - the downside being I have only enough money to barely scrape by but if that''s what I have to do then I''m prepared to put up with it. I feel this is such a competitive industry that I have to not work so I can keep improving my music skills.
Anyway mate, keep it up and good luck.
Mick.
Cool music for FILM, GAMES, MULTIMEDIA.Free mp3 samples at:http://micktaylormuzik.tripod.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement