🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games on DVD

Started by
14 comments, last by Magic Card 23 years, 11 months ago
quote:
Eek! What are you going to make that''s going to need 7 CD-Roms?

My game, of course! You travel across all 7 continents, so 1 CD per continent. I figure about 10-20 levels per disc.

Street Gang soon...
Gamma Hunter later...
DanAvision FOREVER!
-----------------------
This message posted by: Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Advertisement
Don''t know if it helps, but I''ve seen DVD-Ram burners out here for the price that STVOY said - so I assume these are the ones he was talking about.
Nice price for something that can write 5Gig a disk!
Shame they don''t work on normal DVD drives then.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote: Original post by Magic Card
You travel across all 7 continents, so 1 CD per continent. I figure about 10-20 levels per disc.

That''s roughly 32MB per level {for 20, presuming even sized levels.} This is going to be one very media heavy game! And if it isn''t, you should consider putting more than one continent on each CD. If it''s one thing that I learned from playing Under a Killing Moon, is that swithching discs is a pain.
Or Baldur''s Gate... five cd switching fun for all.
Didn''t they re-release it on DVD? and call it Gold or something?

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
You could also make a seperate DVD that''s included with the game as an enticing "bonus" for buyers... like Blizzard did with the Diablo 2 collector''s edition. Although for a start up game developer this wouldn''t be worth the expense.

-Zed
I can''t imagine a single developer filling up 7 CDs. Even if you were to have prerendered movies for most of the game. Just look at Myst. It had a LOT of graphics but didn''t take up that much. Riven had a LOT of prerendered movies and intense graphics but only took up 5 CDs.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement