Advertisement

Newbie dropping in.

Started by January 06, 2004 03:18 AM
4 comments, last by Evan 20 years, 7 months ago
Hello, everyone! I''m a 19 year old electronic musician trying to branch out into game/soundtrack type work. Working on electronic dance music, which focuses on arrangement, rhythm, and sound design rather than melody, has given me a good basis to work off in music. Now I''m entering the exciting word of complex chord structure, melody and harmony, and its really fascinating. I was actually looking around for a game development forum to attempt to work with an amature game designer by contributing to the soundtrack, but just happened to stumble upon this small community of game musicians myself. Just throught I''d drop a line and say "Hi". If anyone wants to hit me up on AIM my SN is CloudSff5. I look forward to learning a lot from you guys! ~Evan
Greetings.

I'm Andrew, I'll be your moderator for thisevening

If you're intrested in working on an amature project, you might want to check out the Help Wanted forum (and perhaps make a post saying your available to do that kind of thing).

Also, people often pop in here from time to time, wanting someone for music work (although, technicly, they're supposed to use Help Wanted).

So yes, enjoy your stay and good luck with finding a team.
- Andrew Russell

Free Game: Yet Another Falling Block Game

[edited by - Andrew Russell on January 6, 2004 10:14:05 AM]
Advertisement
Hey Evan. Welcome.

I''m Tommy Raz, AKA "5010" (SOLO). I perform live electronic music solo in the Dallas area. My set up is 14 e-drums (including kick pad), a keyboard, and a pedalboard. I play these simultaneously, often using delays on some drums to shore up the one-handed beats when my other hand is on the keyboard (yeah I know it''s insane)!

But for game development, I''m working with a small international team who found each other in the Help Wanted section. I''m putting together a dynamic song player that works by patching together parts to form the music depending on the style and mood within the game. Others on the team are concentrating on math and graphics and stuff.

So good luck and let us know when you have something for us to listen to. I enjoy electronic dance music.

-solo (my site)
-solo (my site)
Wow, small world, I live virtually next door in Fort Worth! Unfortunately I''ve never heard of your live PA act, but it sounds really cool, and hopefully I''ll get to see you play out sometime. I''m really fascinated by forward-thinking live PA acts. Do you attend any of the IDM shows at the Rubber Gloves Rehersal Studio in Denton?

Notable Dallas live electronic acts: Burufunk, Carbon Community, Gift Culture, The Mind Theory (now defunct) and Psy Co.

Aha, I just found the music section on your site. Nice downtempo stuff. The first track reminds me a bit of Enigma. Unusual narration. What do you use to produce?

Here''s my studio:
Daw: Custom 1.6ghzP4, 384mb ram, 200gb, 40 gb HD, M-audio delta Audiophile 24/94 runnin FLstudio and wavelab with lots of free plugs

Synths- Roland RS-5 (Want to upgrade to Motif Rack though) Novation K-station, Roland Juno 106 (analog bass monster ^_^) Korg MS2000R

FX- Lexicon MPX110, Korg Kaoss pad, Peavey EQ, Apex 104 Aural Exciter w/Big Bottom

Other- 2 technics turntables, Numark dj mixer, Boss DS-2 guitar pedal, Behringer Eurorack 16ch. mixer, old-ass analog tape machine, Sure SM-57 Mic.

Well, I don''t have anthing online music-wise at the moment, but if anyone wants to hit me up on Aim, I can send you some stuff.

Peace!

~Evan
quote: Original post by Evan
Aha, I just found the music section on your site. Nice downtempo stuff. The first track reminds me a bit of Enigma. Unusual narration. What do you use to produce?

Thanks! I haven't done much live lately, been working on getting my album project done. In December I played for the White Rock marathon, which was 2.5 hours with no breaks, but I had plenty of original material.

Left hand :
Roland SPD-11: An 8-pad drum unit + 4 external pads (2 of them are hexagonal from my vintage Simmons kit, 2 are triangular Roland drums). I usually play this with left hand and sometimes join with right hand.

Alesis D4: 1 more Roland pad.

Right hand :
Studiologic keyboard controller

I keep a stick across this so I can pick it up and play drums with both hands periodically. Other times I put the left stick down and play with 2 hands on the keys.

Sometimes I play 2 parts with 1 hand. On Peace there is a part where I play the bubbling pad chord with thumb and forefinger while stretching the pinky to a split where I play flute. On Lucifer and the Wallflower , I play e-piano and oboe in similar manner.

Left foot :
Studiologic pedalboard (17 pedals)

Right Foot :
Kick pad hooked up to Alesis D4

I combine the keyboard and pedalboad midi using a midiman 2x2 box. The merged output then combines with the Roland SPD-11 with another midiman. The output of this feeds into the D4 which merges it with it's own triggers. It would be SO nice is all the instruments had merge capabilities like that so I could eliminate the merge boxes.

All of this merged midi data is plugged into an EMU ESI-32 sampler (with turbo card for extra filters/effects).

Now here is where I make it all easy: Everything is combined into 1 patch per song! It's just a huge keyboard with splits for drums, pedals, and keys across it. Each song has it's own patch. So when I hit the "Program up" button on the SPD-11, it changes everything simultaneously. It also makes it painless to mix because sound-wise it's just 1 instrument.

The EMU outputs digital stereo via S/PDIF to the computer, which is just a little 233 with a hercules game theatre for the S/PDIF input.

I then start Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, set up a left and right track and hit record, run to the kit, and play. I don't do anything else with the tracks except taper the end.

After getting the music, I then add a vocal track, which is just a mike hooked up to a DBX preamp to a guitar effects box (RP-Valve) to the audio input on the game theatre box on the computer.

So what you hear recorded is the same thing as what I play live, except I tend to embellish a lot and showboat more when performing in public, which will happen more when I get done with the project (probably in march).

[edited by - 5010 on January 7, 2004 11:38:05 AM]
-solo (my site)
quote: Original post by Evan
Wow, small world, I live virtually next door in Fort Worth! Unfortunately I''ve never heard of your live PA act, but it sounds really cool, and hopefully I''ll get to see you play out sometime. I''m really fascinated by forward-thinking live PA acts. Do you attend any of the IDM shows at the Rubber Gloves Rehersal Studio in Denton?

Hey I just got a show booked. It''s a bit far from Ft Worth, but it''s a start. I''ll be at TGI Fridays in Mesquite Friday 1/30 starting at 10:30.

I''d like to do something in the Ft Worth area too, like maybe once every 2 or 3 months. Any ideas?
-solo (my site)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement