🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ripping apart Perfect Dark

Started by
15 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
I''d like to analyse what it is about this game that was so great. Generally speaking, i''d like to know if it was more coding/physics/engineering that made the game, (or) conceptual, game logics, game design or combinations of the above. Some of the small details within Perfect Dark that i''ve noticed which don''t show them selves up imediately are things such as: 1. Players body physics - what i mean here is, when your character runs along the stops you don''t stop instantly. You velocity actually carries you forward an extra pace while your trying to stop. 1b. When a player gets shot it knocks them back a few paces. 2. Computer AI - The enemies don''t know you are they until you are heard or seen. ... to name just a few. What do you think the greatest aspects of this game are? Maybe there''s something unrealised yet so please feel free to add you comments :-) I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
Well, the light flares were waaayyyy over done. It looked cool, but you DON''T see a light flare during the day that is at the source of artificial light.

btw, were we commenting or trashing Perfect Dark?

------------------------
Captured Reality
Options always make me happy. Especially ones which alter the game rules.

"If at first you DO succeed...try not to look astonished!!"

BASSOFeeSH@aol.com
><>
-- What would Sweetness do?
quote: Original post by nes8bit
btw, were we commenting or trashing Perfect Dark?

All opinions welcome :-)

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Call me a dumbass, but pardon me? What exactly is Perfect Dark, and where can I get a demo of it or such? Did I oversleep a good game, or what (*panic*)? Never heard of this, neither in the game magazines, nor in the net.

Please help me out, I''m stuck
pi~
Jan PieczkowskiBrainwave Studios
Perfect Dark is a N64 game. I don''t know if the game has been released in Europe yet (I don''t follow Nintendo that closely), but you might want to take a look at IGN64. Try searching the reviews for information on the game.

-------------------------
-Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit.
Unknown Person
-------------------------
--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------
One little thing i noticed that made it great was there were no medical/health boxes.In multiplayer this kept the game going at a much more strategic and fast pace.In ways It eliminated the type of players that would stay idle in one position for the entire match colecting health while equiped with the very best weapon availible.Waiting and killing other players that try to come through the area.
It was a big strange seeing this post since I just returned
from a friend''s house and we were playi ng Perfect Dark.
This was my first ti me playing and we only played Multiplayer so I will comment on that.
I found this game to be very similar to Goldeneye for the N64, it in fact had some levels from Goldeneye.
i liked havi ng all these diffrent opitions for multiplayer setup esspecailly the features that allowed you to place up to 8 SIMS and allowed one to make large teams of players and sims.
I liked the levels and how they were setup too, for instence it is possible for one to fall down from higher floors to lower floors. I also found all the weapons to be much better then goldeneye, For instence laptop guns could be placed a sentry guns, Dragons guns could self destruct, etc.

Just a little game trivia for those not in the know. Perfect Dark was made by the same people who made Goldeneye. In fact, when you playing the game, if you go to the Carrington Institute and Complete all of the Weapons Training (gold medals for every weapon) then all the weapons from Goldeneye will become available in the Combat Simulator.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Paul paul paul.. still at it, i see?

Perfect dark had a good AI. simple. I dislike the later levels, but you remember my whole deal about handicapping. The easy level of the game was DIFFICULT to me.. and next to impossible for some people. I''m up to challenge 18 or so in the multiplayer. My girl''s lil bro owns it, so i don''t play except when i''m up there with him. We''ve beaten a few like 21 and 22 together, but i can''t beat em solo.

I''ll delve more into this if you wanna email me, since no one else seems interested in this ;p

J

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement