🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

winsock

Started by
4 comments, last by djsteffey 23 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone know of a good library or have written a good library to use winsock. If so then I would like to get my hands on it if you dont mind. I need to do some network program to send game info over the net and all the stuff I have read on it make it sound very frightening. I know if I use a library then it adds extra overhead to my program, but I am not worried about this. If you can help me out then leave a message here or send me an email djsteffe@unity.ncsu.edu "Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail themGames Productions
Advertisement
I don''t have a winsock library, but I do have a DirectPlay one you can have if you''re interested.

My Geekcode: "GCS d s: a14 C++$ P+(++) L+ E-- W+++$ K- w++(+++) O---- M-- Y-- PGP- t X
R- tv+ b++ DI+(+++) D- G e* h!"
Decode my geekcode!
Geekcode.com

Visit our web site:
Asylum Entertainment
My Geekcode: "GCS d s: a14 C++$ P+(++) L+ E-- W+++$ K- w++(+++) O---- M-- Y-- PGP- t XR- tv+ b++ DI+(+++) D- G e* h!"Decode my geekcode!Geekcode.com
Visit our web site:Asylum Entertainment
one comes with mfc, but I think its just easier to use straight winsock. You may think its easier in the beginning to use a helper library, but when you want to resolve a name without blocking you''ll have some problems.
For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
is direct play ok to use for a mmorpg, well not real massive, maybe 100 - 200 users at one time ?
Email your library to me if you dont mind ziplux.
And thanks in advance.

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

Winsock''s not hard to use, if you''re planning on porting to UNIX later be wary of the WSA* calls that allow you to use Windows message processing, but if you''re just planning on using Windows, its simpler to do it the WSA* way.

I wrote a client/server message passing library on top for my stuff, if you''re interested in details, send email. I would recommend something simple to isolate you from details(especially client/server connection details).

I have a generic wrapper class that I have coded around winsock.
It is simple and may help you develop a class that works for you...
It has simple calls like DHLSock::Open(), which sets up a listen socket waiting for clients,
and DHLSock::Read... You get the ideal.
Just send me email to my home account, that way I''m sure to send it to you.
Again, it is just a wrapper around the real generic winsock stuff

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement