🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Health Metre, who needs it?

Started by
17 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 11 months ago
Physicians:
I already suggested vaguely in my post:
"You manage to run away from the goblin far enough for him to lose you before you collapse in exhaustion"
Time is a factor in wounding, so it''s a factor in healing as well. A physician can "stitch you up" ( possibly translating into a reduced susceptibility to disease, and an enabling factor for NATURAL healing ). It stops the bleeding, and starts the healing process. If you keep walking around, you''ll heal at your natural, terribly slow rate. You might have magic or somesuch to speed it up, or stay in hospital or something.

Hit by location in text-based:
More or less random, unless you do a targeted attack.
Normal attacks will hit torso, targeted attacks are more difficult but increase the chance to hit a particular body part.

> attack goblin''s nose
vs
> attack goblin

it might even just be an embellishment issue. Perhaps a torso hit doesn''t do anything different to a leg hit, it''s just related with different words.

I am not going real-time for a while yet, I have never really liked real time roleplaying games. I need time to formulate my answers, and think through the proper responses for my character...

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Advertisement
For a graphical real-time hit-by-location game, I was thinking about making it so that there would be a few buttons where you could select the body part you want to hit, and that body part would continue to be selected until you select another one. Assuming all body parts are equally selected, the head would be the hardest to hit because it''s a small target and so on...

Another approach could be to make it so it''s random like Keith said unless you specify otherwise or make it so it picks the torso area unless you specify otherwise because that would be the easiest target I would think.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Why am i thinking of an old C64 game called Master of Magic, hehe.

I think a better solution to health metre (IMHO) would be using Armour (and armour damage/wearntear). If a hit passes through the armour then you are injured past the ordinary bruise. If its a serious enough injury then it either means character death or paying out your life saving for the best magican to save your ass. You get to keep your character with all its hard earned XP and skills but your as poor as begger.

dsafas

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on July 25, 2000 12:34:29 PM
If you just want a new way of presenting it rather than a whole new damage system, one technique I used was to have a red displacement map fade in gradually from the sides of the screen and the more damage the less transparent it became. At almost full damage you were left with a kind of tunnel vision just being able to peer through the red merk in the middle. (well that was the idea anyway

Another thing to think about, remember the little head in Doom, take away the actual damage value and you could still judge fairly reasonably your health level. The facial expressions were done quite well, I think that is the key to that type of representation.
______________________________It is entertainment not reality.
I thought I would use location based damages, each part of the body has its own health meter plus some hits may be critical and could severe an arm or pierce the heart.

Different kinds of armor would protect against different kinds of weapon. For example, leather is good against blunt weapons but does little against piercing ones.

The characters would protect critical locations ( head, groin ... ) by instinct ( if i may say ) or if they choose to.
A character constantly attacking would loose the chance to protect himself. A buckler would help to protect without putting the character in too bad a position.

The player would choose the location more or less with the daggerfall system, in combat the sword would follow the mouse. Of course, if someone else puts himself in the trajectory of the blade ...

Edited by - DungeonMaster on July 28, 2000 1:20:42 PM

Edited by - DungeonMaster on July 28, 2000 1:25:14 PM
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
To me the health metre tends to make the character seem like a lump of meat. The character is more than this and i believe it should be displayed to the player in a better way than just being a bottle/bar of blood. What about adrenaline, isn''t the character entitled to a adrenaline rush from time to time. And then you''ve got willpower. Will power to take hit and keep going is far more imporant than a health.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
In Resident Evil 2, the main screen not have health-metter. Even there no have nothing more that game (and occasionally a timer-metter or some caption). Of course, you can access to menu and see the stats. But is not need, because if you has hurts, then the players will not run and walk very slowly. Even more, when you has close to dead, the players will walk even more slow and more inaccurace (like a zombie).

-eng3d.softhome.net-
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
It's still a value right? no matter how the game processes the value...whether numeric or boolean.

the game can change texture or color of icons, or armor, whatever, it's still a value, i think the only difference is how many (multipart leg head arms etc) and how many different values...1-10? 256? true false?....that's the only difference to me.

Edited by - CodyVa on August 1, 2000 4:19:33 AM
It can also be done with mere calculations. Like the old - I hit - He died - situations. But i guess you still have values.

What i''m looking for i guess are different purposes to these values. all i can see at the moment is a value of damage that can be taken and a value that determines a hit or a miss. (Racking Brains) There''s got to be more. Must think now.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement