🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Testing... Testing... 1...2?

Started by
38 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 11 months ago
This forum is a think-tank. We''ve had so many ideas in here, all with so much potential. So I''m thinking... "It''s such a waste that most arguements about ideas on GDNet come down to a lack of evidence. If we had some kind of testing environment, we could get some indication of what worked and what doesn''t." So then it dawned on me! Is it possible that between the lot of us, we could create a "virtual" text-based MMORPG? With no substantial content, and virtual players? That way we could dump new ideas into the existing experiment, try running them in different combinations, etc.? It wouldn''t be too hard to collect some statistics and variables from existing MMORPGs, and set up a basic "player-logic" for the system to follow. It''d be nice to see what works with different variables... Can it be done? Of course. Is anyone willing to help me get it done? I can contribute some help from my team if I know what needs to be done... What do you think? ====== "The unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates "Question everything. Especially Landfish." -Matt
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
I''ll help, heck, I''ve started work on something like this because it''s becoming harder and harder to communicate my ideas without a solid example.

We''d need a damned solid design though.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
*makes a saluting gesture*

Well then captain? Let''s get to work. What do we need for resources, and how can we communicate more effectively than clouding this forum?
=====Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
Possibilities:

• Get yer ass on ICQ and message me, I''m online from 9 to 5 CET.
  • Email/EGroups message group, though I hate those.
  • EZBoard discussion board
  • Set up some freaky server thing to share files etc.

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Contributions at Goblin Game Developers

Registration is now required

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~

Edited by - MadKeithV on July 25, 2000 9:08:13 AM
What skills are required and what do we need? I can only help with game logic solutions but i would spend time to help with this

So we need a web site to start with. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Are you planning on creating it from the ground up, or use some sort of MUD code-base?

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Wow, Landfish, I thought you were gone.

I don''t care what you guys want to do, I''ll help in whatever way you would like. I''m dying for a REAL project.

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
Pacman,

The Landfish is everywhere and nowhere.

Actually if you check the profiles on the people in this post, you''ll find an interesting phenomenon.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
''Doh!!

Landfish, ya beat me to it!! Believe it or not, I thought of the same damn thing last night!! Yeah, yeah I know. Sounds like a case of "Me too, me too" but anyway I''d love ta help, but as you know if you''ve read the last couple of Linear/Non-linear, I''m a humble wee first yr. CS student, but regardless, I love the idea behind all this, so whatever''s necessary, I''LL LEARN.

K?

. . .i''m just a little black raincloud. . .
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement