🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Character interactions with reactions in CRPG

Started by
1 comment, last by Octarinne 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I've been thinking on how the turns in my CRPG would work and have come up with this: Each action takes some amount of time depending of the action. When a character has finished an action he his queried for his next one. Then he can't do nothing else until the time of finishing this action is reached. But some special actions may be interrupted by another character. For example: -Char A chooses special action "open chest" This action checks if any characters wishes to react to it. If no character wishes to react then Char A performs the action. Otherwise: -Char B reacts to Char A action by blocking "open chest" action and makes action: say "don't open it it may be trapped". After a character makes a blocking reaction Char A must now confirm his action: -Char A accepts reaction and cancels "open chest" This simple example demonstrates some actions that may be interrupted by other characters. There will probably be some different types of possible reactions. I think that this will bring an interesting element to character interactions. They will seem to be aware of what the others are doing instead of each doing their own things. What do you think of this idea? --------------- Shareware CRPGs http://pages.infinit.net/bprezeau/CRPG.html Edited by - Octarinne on 7/25/00 5:12:32 PM
Advertisement
I''m thinking this could work very well as a basic system as well, consider the "chest locked" entity.
The player tries "open chest", and the "chest locked" entity blocks the action. The player cannot avoid this particular block...

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Very interesting. The characters would have to take precedence over the object block. Otherwise you would get the "chest is locked" before getting the "don''t open it".

I will think about this. Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement