🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GAME dynamics

Started by
10 comments, last by Nail 23 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by dwarfsoft

That is a point about seeing WHY they are going to the NPC, but I think you can put it down to these things: Make sure they are not going there to get any items or to do anything other than talk. In the Diabloish environments, count the gossips. Have some NPC''s tell you that others are bitching about you, that way the PC will NOT like them.

Yeah, but if there''s more interaction, I could spend all my time arguing and pissing off the NPC... or maybe I''m choosing all the insulting conversation items. Any conversation isn''t good conversation.

quote:
Have the NPC that they like (most likely of the opposite sex ) give the player compliments and get them to start taking an interest in the PC. If you have flirting between PC->NPC the PC is obviously going to keep coming back to see what will happen.

Hot opposite sex NPC caputed by enemy? Time to be heroic!! Then maybe I can get some! *ahem* ... I mean... be heroic!

quote:
With the conversation system that we are trying to come up with (over at NPCAI) you could see how many questions the PC asked and what kind of things the PC and NPC say to each other.

OT: I just started lurking on that list... any way I can catch up on what I''ve missed?

Advertisement
If you want to catch up on all the messages... Just log in and browse http://www.egroups.com/messages/NPCAI/ which is the archived list of all our messages .

BTW. I don''t think I said "count every conversation as a good conversation", I think I need to clarify this. Use subject analysis to find out WHAT is being talked about and HOW it is being talked about. Which is what the recent messages at NPCAI have been about (if only on an NPC<->NPC level). That way the liked and disliked NPC''s could be distinguished.

The *ahem* you were speaking of is something that I intend to implement in my game, but I am not sure to what extent. You get the chance to start a family, and this could give you a reason to protect them . Somewhere to stay, a kind woman by your side, evil foes to be fought, what more does a PC need?... well, whatever it is, I wouldn''t mind implementing it in my game too .

Oh, and about your "choosing the insulting conv items", you CAN''T! It''s inverse parser material (possibly)... You get a choice about the topics you talk about, it isn''t set to menu options (too limited) but it isn''t as free as free speach (impossible implementation). I am thinking of the NPC saying things like "What do you want to talk about big boy? " and you getting the option of typing in the subject, and then determine how the conversation goes from there. It should be able to understand simple sentences too (hopefully ). This is how you can tell if they are a liked or a disliked NPC

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement