🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Automatic Player Actions in CRPG

Started by
9 comments, last by DungeonMaster 23 years, 11 months ago
In most paper role playing games, you decide things like ''my character goes there and open the door'', do you think the players would appreciate to be able to give orders to their characters ? Eg. ''Go to the city'' ''Kill Thorghaz'' ''Hunt rabbits'' then the character would be controlled by the NPC Manager.
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Advertisement
I think this would be most useful in controlling "henchmen", i.e. those NPCs that stick with the player character all the time. Allowing the computer to take over control of the player character is not a good idea, to me, because then you are just running a "demo", based on the NPC AI.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I disagree with you about the control of other characters for I would rather have them able to refuse to obey an order and follow of their own free will ;-)

The player would not control his character this way all the time, and I would limit this to simple tasks like go there, make this and such.

The player would control his character most of the time but this way he could avoid repetive tasks.
Of course he couldnt use this to do things he has not done before.

I think I will do this at least for travel, for it is something I dislike to do when it is repetitive.
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
yes

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by DungeonMaster
The player would control his character most of the time but this way he could avoid repetive tasks.

Why don''t you design your game so that you never need to perform any repetitive tasks? You have to fix the problem, not patch the problem

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Well, I want to give the player a maximum of freedom, so it would be him deciding to do something again and again. I dont think I can foresee all the decisions the player will make.

Moreover, in Real Life TM you sometimes have to do repetitive tasks. For example you live here and work there so you travel each day from here to there and back. When you have done it enough its almost automatic.

I think I will try to avoid those repetitions but I also think the player would be better off if he could use automatic mode.
Moreover, in Real Life TM you sometimes have to do repetitive tasks.

But we don''t have to in games, so why not avoid them completely? If the players chooses to do things repetitively, that''s fine with me, but I''m definately not going to support him in doing so.

( note: you might not have read all of the previous threads on this board, but this reminds me very much of some messages talking about how "trainers" for games like Elder Scrolls allowed your character to perform a repetitive act while you were offline, to increase stats... )

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
Well maybe you are right about the stat max, but then I could limit him in some way. Hope it isnt what you call Patch.

For example if he wants to chop trees again and again why not ? But then if he stays too long chopping trees or performing whatever patter his character may well turn into a non player character.

I should say that in my game the player character will always be a Traveller driven by the need to go further. So staying too long in one place is the best way to say stop to this character career.

Well, I want to give the player a maximum of freedom, so it would be him deciding to do something again and again. I dont think I can foresee all the decisions the player will make.

Moreover, in Real Life TM you sometimes have to do repetitive tasks. For example you live here and work there so you travel each day from here to there and back. When you have done it enough its almost automatic.

I think I will try to avoid those repetitions but I also think the player would be better off if he could use automatic mode.

Well, for travel you could keep track of how many times a player goes from one place to another {directly.} Then, after a preset number of journeys {say about 3 to 7} they can have an option pop up asking if they want to make haste to that place. The trip would be shorter in game time, but the player wouldn''t pick up any experience. Every so often a random encounter could be thrown in. Scripted scenes that need to be completed before travel can be continued would also interupt the automatic travelling.

----Sonic Silicon----
Are you talking about having a set number of automatic actions. this is what i''m presuming. If it was set then it would obviously not include actions that give XP yes?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement