🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RTS themes

Started by
18 comments, last by eh 23 years, 11 months ago
OMG ... are you all blind or what ?

With all the wars that have been and will be ... why is it that we just don''t seem to use any of them ?

What about cavemen battling it out ? you could have shaman (magic users), tamed dinosaurs that would also serve as war machines.

What about all the medieval wars, the crusades ?
Templars fighting the arabs of Saladin. At that time those people thought that magic actually existed, and monsters such as dragons, hyppogriffon, hydras, etc etc !

Does any one noticed that Close Combat 4 is out ? and still based around WWII ?

Come one, shake those neurons and create something new.

The only reason there are so many med-fan, and futuristic games is because of marketing "if it works, DON''t try something new".

That''s fucking stupid, and sterile as well .

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
I was going to suggest a WWI or WWII RTS, but then if you want to be historically correct, the Allies still need to win, which kind of hintd (only slightly ) on the predeterminism theory

Why not make one which has no magic and no advanced technology. Kind of like an Amish world . Nobody has ever seen that in a game!

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
I am so amazed nobody has a done a napoleonic RTS. I guess to many games companies are american with little knowledge of european history :-).
The Napoleonic era is crying out to be done as a decent RTS, it has different unit types, a whole list of different nations, each with highly colorfull and distinctive uniforms, and is THE game to code decent troop formations for. Maybe not a resource-management game, but certainly a good choice for a game like shogun.
I wouldnt be suprised if Age Of Empires III picked this theme.

http://www.positech.co.uk
thank you all for your input.

as much as i want to doa mideval RTS game, i am going to go with future. i seem to be more creative with future. i''ve already made a small (and unfinished!) list of my structures/units.

structures:
===========
base
solar panel (generates power from sun)
drill (to mine ore)
warehouse (supplys)
camp (ground units)
hanger (flying units)
tech lab (upgrades)
ion turret (ground to air, ground to ground)
electron fence (wall of electricity)

ground units:
=============
bot (builds structures)
ion gunner (shoots small ion blasts)
missile tank (shoots missile)
land mine (carrys 3 land mines to place anywhere)
devistator (shoots large ion blast)
arachnid (mechanical spider looking mobile that paralizes units)
scout (fast moving scout)

flying units:
=============
bomber (drops a small bomb)
on beamer (shoots a long beam of ion)

upgrades:
=========
+weapons (ground)
+armor (ground)
+weapons (air)
+armor (air)

ion is like very powerful electricity. it will be the main weapon in this game, along with missiles, bombs, and land mines.

you will produce structures with electricity (via solar panels) and with ore (via underground mine). and you can build units with power, ore, and supplys (via the supply warehouses).

does all of this sound good to you guys?
oh yeah, and i have a storyline in the works:

it is 4.8 billion years from now. the sun, has run out of it's gas, and has expanded destroying earth and many other planets in the solar system.

the human race has left earth on 600 massive carryers that are set to travel to a planet not unlike earth, 10 million lightyears away.

however, when the carryers arrive at new earth...they discover that the planet has been overrun by a strange alien race. the aliens have used up most new earth's resources, eating trees and plants, consuming all of the water. the humans are standed, and the aliens dont seem to agree with the humans invading their territory.

blah blah blah...you get the drift. you like?

Edited by - eh on July 30, 2000 2:02:13 PM
Actually I was just thinking about this last night.
I''m sure most of you have played Age of Empires I and/or II, and to tell you the truth I really enjoy both these RTS games (AOE II, however is my favorite.)
Last night I was thinking about a game similar but instead of taking place in the classic period or middle ages it would take place in the present.
The player could play nations that exist today, use weapons that exist today and so on.
quote: Original post by eh

oh yeah, and i have a storyline in the works:

it is 4.8 billion years from now. the sun, has run out of it''s gas, and has expanded destroying earth and many other planets in the solar system.

blah blah blah...you get the drift. you like?

Edited by - eh on July 30, 2000 2:02:13 PM

It souunds pretty cool, i hope i get to see it oneday

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Story definitely sounds good. I hope my "YOU ARE THE EVIL" story works out. It is non-linear, but it has a main theme

Check our site:
As people seem to be having problems looking for new settings for RTS games I humbly submit an idea that I''ve had kicking around for quite a while and I might consider (very slight) drafting a Design for and seeing what happens amounst my little coding group.

It''s based upon the human body and your incommand of the the white blood cells. (The idea came around after catching some cartoon about how the human body works that featued little blue men) The body is always under attack from germs, viruses etc and your job is to make sure that red blood cells can move around the body without being "attacked". You have to "research" which template your white cells have to modify depending upon the virus of infection that breaches the skin. You can have "bonus crates (booster jabs/imunity jabs)" forgein holidays with "Ebola virues" attacks etc.

The game might also have an education value as you learn the most important organs to defend. You would also have to learn the anatomy of the human body so you can find the invaders faster.

Dunno how it would work because thats the idea I came up with.
LOL! This is a great parody on RTS, I would love to see what becomes of this! Hehehe.. I can''t stop laughing. Please don''t give up on this idea, I can always do with some amusement

Check our site:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement