🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3rd person view = more character driven?

Started by
10 comments, last by Ketchaval 20 years, 4 months ago
So, nekoflux, do you agree or disagree? It seems like you''ve simply stated the contrapositive. For what it''s worth, though, I agree with you.

Having a character on-screen amplifies its "otherness"; it makes me think that it''s somebody other than me. For a game like Max Payne, where Max''s story is not my story, and I don''t even fully understand it until the end of the game, this is appropriate. Max is a full, rounded character, and his facial expressions, body language, and overall appearance are being presented to me by the game designers. 3rd person is appropriate there.

On the other hand, if I''m playing Halo, I AM the Master Chief, and the few little things he says are usually pretty generic. It''s easy to imagine myself in that green armor, and looking through the visor makes it easier still. For a game like Halo, which is gameplay-based more than story-based, I''m inclined to see it as a 1st-person affair.

So at the end of the day I affirm Ketchaval''s assertion: Third-person views allow the designer(s) to take more control over the central figure in the game, and makes the story and action seem self-encapsulated and external to the player, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the intent of said designer(s).
Advertisement
What I was inferring from my previous post, is that I have not encountered a situation in a game where 1st person would make me feel more dissasociated than a 3rd person view. Personally, I find it to be the case that whenever a character decision is made for me, I become less associated and less "hooked" on the character.

Although, I can see where not making a 3rd person perspective can be hard for marketing purposes in that its hard to create a branded character with catch phrases if you cant SEE the character at any point.
nekoflux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement