🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Post Ratings

Started by
8 comments, last by Freakshow 23 years, 10 months ago
Something''s bugging me. I completely understand GDNets policy of not being a religious chatroom, and I have no problem with that. If I want religion I''ll go to a Religious of philosophical Page. But have you noticed that the post ratings (ie avatar, zealot, martyr, saint, etc.) all carry religious connotations? Isn''t that a tidbit hippocritical? I''d rather see the titles changed than permit the conversations, but to be fair to the people who are having their threads closed, I think a change is in order. ===== Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
=====Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
Advertisement
It never ceases to amaze me how concerned people are with the ranking system. Hypocritical? Platonic? Ironic? Iconic? Who cares .

Edited by - Graylien on July 31, 2000 6:20:37 PM
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.
You could have something to do with coding Like Son of Carmack for 1 million posts
quote: Original post by Freakshow
(ie avatar, zealot, martyr, saint, etc.) all carry religious connotations?

How the hell (I made a religious funny) could you miss MESSIAH!? Anyhoo, why complain? It''s just for fun. At least it doesn''t say "Worshiper of Satan"...actually, if it said that...that would be cool!

!
Hmm, well I guess GameDev Incarnate isn''t really all that religiously conotative, but try using the word holocaust without someone bringing up WWII and religious persecution. Anyhow, what would we replace GameDev Incarnate with? Ramero''s Bitch?

I don''t think using game developer''s as a ranking is such a good idea. First of all it dates the rankings so the staff will have to alter the titles every few years. Second, some people despise certain developers. Third, many a flame war will most likely be started over arguments about how important people feel about these developers. Still, it would be kinda cute seeing Martyr being replaced with Spector {,Warren.}

Maybe the titles could be based on types of gamers:
-Casual
-?
-?
-Hardcore
-Fantatical
-etc.
I like to see the ranks changed with reference to the undead

1. Skeleton
2. Zombie
3. Ghoul
4. Wrath
5. Vampire
6. Lich
7. Arch Lich
8. Where''s my Monstrous Compenduim gone

Then again, maybe not.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I swear that is the sutupidest thing ever said on this message board (....well maybe not, I have read alot of stupid stuff).
But does it really bother you that bad. Is it really infringing on your rights as an individual ? Does gamedev.net have to change the way it runs things because you feel the ranking names promote one religion over another ?
Give me a freakin break. Jeez
If it bothers you that bad then dont post no more so your rating will stay at fanatic which doesnt hold any religious connections (I dont think)

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

I would much rather be a messiah than a member of the undead army or programmers(or something else).

Shrapnel Games
Now calm down, everbody. I don''t really care either way. But when I started this thread there were some people comlaining that GDNet mods wouldn''t let them discuss religious issue, and I thought that was a little odd give the religious theme of the rankings, is all.

=====
Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
=====Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
quote: Original post by Moe

I would much rather be a messiah than a member of the undead army or programmers(or something else).

Shrapnel Games

LOL, hehehe yes, it might remind me of how long it''s been since i''ve slept.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement