🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Story called antachrist

Started by
10 comments, last by michaelp3000 20 years, 4 months ago
This is. . . City is darkness, electric lit; glistening wet streets reflect flickering neon, between the grit and shadows. Half-bent, half-buckled, rain-coated figures hide themselves from the wind; protected behind their coats and pulled-down hoods. Swarms of plastic packets and other bits of wind-battered debris accost them lightly. It seems to be a cloudless night, yet there are no stars. Lively guts of red spray-paint - splashed passion on bleak walls. Rusted iron buildings, haunted by smashed glass, chipped paint. Architecture coated with layers of grime-thick oil stains, from the exhausts of voluminous motor-herds; which at this late hour seem mostly sheltered in their quiet lairs. A pair of boots grind their way over the tarmac. Hands are thrust stiffly in the pockets of a tall coat; but his head is upright and steadfast, confronting the wind. In all directions hair protrudes blonde with long unbending spikes; menacing like the thorns on a cactus. Sallow skin - and the look in his luminescent ocean eyes focus intently forward, yet strangely unbalanced in a fixed stare. Chains on leather pants are in rhythm with his stride. A yellow police van crawls up the side of the road, its occupants scanning the pavements for a likely suspect. Zero Tolerance Crime Prevention. Nail the small offenders - drunks, whores, pushers, users, beggars, punks. Then the murders and mugging and rape will decrease. Well, that''s the theory anyway. The van comes slowly to a halt, next to an unmoving body lying face down in the dirt. One of the cops gets out and walks over to it. He prods it with his truncheon, and it stirs with a low groan. The face that looks up to his, has a bloodied eye - which startles suddenly, and is awake at the sight of a Yellow Uniform. She kicks and screams, and pushing him aside, runs lopsidedly on one shoe, black and brown down the street. The cop gathers himself, and grinning at the challenge, takes off after her. The engine revs to action, and she is pursued by both of them now. The van cuts off her run at the next corner, crashing into trash cans, and as she slows undecided on her next move, is then crash-tackled from behind by the full force of a flying full-back. A bottle of wine is flung from the collision, spinning through the air at the force of the impact, and shatters as it hits the ground; the scarlet liquid of its contents spilling darkly onto the hard tar. Amidst the crash of glass and the dull crunch of the tackle, they hit the road together, and her breath is expelled with an anguished moan as her meagre form is crushed beneath him. Tell me what you all think about it, good for a story? If you are nowhere are you somewhere?
If you are nowhere are you somewhere?
Advertisement
It's a good dystopian future--I think an episode of Justice League used it once--but the actual events are little more than an opening cut-scene. No real characters, about a hundred feet of setting in a generic neighborhood of a generic city.

Your writing is a little crude, by literary standards, but is better than most fan fiction. One thing that bothered me especially was the fact that there was no indication whatsoever that the "body" in paragraph one was a woman. My mental imagery was of a man, and the feminine pronoun in the second paragraph totally threw me.

That, and other little awkwardnesses, can be fixed in later drafts, and by reading the story a few hours after you draft it. Standard Creative Writing 101 stuff can improve your writing 100%, but the most important thing is that you are writing, and that you continue to write. Keep it up. You've obviously got a lot of potential, and if you practice and maybe take a class or two when you get the chance, you could get good in a big hurry.

P.S. - Use two carriage returns between paragraphs. Since you can't indent here, the white space helps to break up the story. The fact that you use paragraphs at all puts you head and shoulders above many of the writers online. Just make sure that everybody can benefit from them.

P.P.S. - That's "antichrist", although I'm not sure what the title has got to do with the story.

[edited by - Iron Chef Carnage on February 24, 2004 11:13:37 PM]
Could we call it 'Antichrist'?

//edit. wow. beat to it. by a whole day. i sure missed that the first read...

[edited by - Avatar God on February 25, 2004 12:58:40 AM]
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Good start.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Really something from nightmares - the police don''t go after her attacker and arrest her for being a lowlife instead.
ok here's the next part
Paul's stride does not falter as he observes the scene from the other side of the street. He turns off at the next corner, not looking back.

With the thirsty taste of salt in his mouth, he merely looks down at his pacing boots, trying not to feel.

Rage.

He hears screaming and wailing, but he does not know if it comes from the street behind him, or ahead of him, or if it is just in his own mind. Instead of looking back, he increases his pace. And runs. And runs. . .

A few blocks later his running slows, and with breath heaving, he rounds a corner to the comforting thump of grunge music. The sound pulses together with the flickering coloured lights of a night-club. Outside, a few dozen night-crawlers mingle with the shadows and the streetlights, sucking cigarettes, joints, each other's faces, or a hidden something.

Laughing, farting, looking for a flirt. No-one pays him a second glance as Paul walks through the doorway and climbs the long narrow steps up to the entrance. A large bald bouncer selectively ignores his arrival, so he pays his cover-charge to an anorexic girl who looks up half-shaven, with red-mop-hair, and nose ring.

He hands over the full price even though it is late and the club will close soon. She smiles at him lopsidedly from behind a row of thick iron bars; her face taught, and haughty.

He is stamped with approval from the bouncer, and leaves his coat at the door; his feet and legs feeling the discordant pull of music. The club is mostly full. The dance-floor is mostly empty. His adrenaline is already pumping, so he skips past the jam at the bar; and feeling a little self-conscious at first, slows down, and finally lets emotion fill his body. Swinging from foot to foot in ever widening arcs, he then spins and lets his head loose.

[edited by - michaelp3000 on March 2, 2004 9:09:43 PM]
If you are nowhere are you somewhere?
<sigh>

You really should have some respect for other people''s work.

<a href="http://www.otterit.co.nz/Ben/anarchrist/shortstory.htm">full story</a>

<a href="http://www.the-underdogs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32350&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=e31a220b9da85eac82cad08b8eddae00">plagiarism</a>

<a href="http://forums.davidmercer.com/viewtopic.php?p=347&sid=540fd8b5444">more plagiarism</a>

The question is why would he bother to plagiarise such terrible, hackneyed writing?
Morons work in mysterious ways...
That''s really disappointing. But I, too, wonder why not plagiarize something better? I even used my "Keep at it, you don''t suck" speech on him. I''m sure there are enough high-quality yet esoteric pieces out there that a good idea thief could at least find something substantive.

To michaelp3000: You''re a jerk.

To the original author: This story isn''t very good, but at least you wrote it yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement