🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Artifical Powermaxing

Started by
24 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
I was just reading a post by Garath here about a system he was going to using for a RPG. I had some thoughts about it and thought that it''d be worth making a thread out of which could catch more attention. Here''s what was said and my reply - quote
quote: By Garath As far as knowledge goes, if we are talking combat, my current battle design uses critcal hits and crippling blows (blows that render a body part unusable) based off of a skill system. The first time a character fights ''a goblin'' he/she will not be likely to score a crippling blow or even a critical hit. But over time of fighting many ''a goblin'' the character will learn the strengths and weaknesses of ''a goblin'' and will both attack and defend better against ''a goblin''. Thus yielding critical hits and crippling blows as well as a growing knowledge of the monster (i.e. weak against fire).
You could also make it so that this player knowledge about goblins will also improve their armour class against this particular foe. Just a thought that might help This could introduce more shock value in the game because the player would get a comfy feel when they fight with orc''s but then a ogre strolls in and the player must be taken back a step or two. Kind of like introducing articfical-powermaxing. You never get powerful against all foes you just learn how to beat them individually. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
Paul - consider what happens if you do this in an MMORPG, with PKing...
People constantly defending against PKing will get better at fending them off. ( Though PKs will also get better at killing players... )
So, if you survive long enough, either as a PK or not, you''ll be damned hard to kill by other players.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
You say that like it''s a BAD thing, MadKeith.
Do your part. End goblin genocide. Nice work, boys...
quote: Original post by MadKeithV

Paul - consider what happens if you do this in an MMORPG, with PKing...
People constantly defending against PKing will get better at fending them off. ( Though PKs will also get better at killing players... )
So, if you survive long enough, either as a PK or not, you''ll be damned hard to kill by other players.

~ (V)^|) |<$B!&(Bt|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.

Bah, it all comes down to implementation. I wish people wouldn''t take me like i''m speaking the gospel or something

Simple... don''t allow the system to calculate improvements for killing human opponents. Anyhow, how will the system give XP values for every different suited PC MadkeithV?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Hehe, the discussion is ON!

Here we have the instant problem : you''re splitting players off from non-players. This doesn''t work in MMORPGs, everything could be a player, as far as the world knows. Different players have different styles. Perhaps goblins do too!

But the fact remains that human physiology is pretty invariant, as is goblin physiology. And there will be human opponents as well as non-human. So learning a bit about physiology might improve your ability to deal with that species in combat. Though, you could artificially REDUCE ability when someone is PKing... as an "act of god" or something.

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Paul, Keith.. here''s the deal. You add a new skill for each type of race. ANATOMY! Human anatomy, etc. healers who know anatomy of certain races better will heal those better and more effciently! And fighters how know anatomy of a race know how to kill or wound them better. For something like an iron golem, knowing its weak spot is VERY important. So you spawn off anatomy of humans, anatomy of elves, etc. And then you use your knowledge of a race''s weak points, and try to hit on this. This follows a mechwarrior style system, with aimed hits and whatnot.

J
Maybe you could even mutate this anatomy to make more fun... But that would be a difficult task

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
I know what brought that idea to mind Dwarfsoft

What niphty said is pretty much what i was trying to say in the first post, thanks.

MadkeithV, i see the problems that could arise from splitting NPC''s with PC''s.But before i go on with that there''s one other thing that should be cleared up first in terms of the anatomy skill system for races. And that is:

1. How much power should be given to a character for boosting this skill of anatomy?
2. Should this skill work with the current combat system or instead of it?

I think this should be disscused first in order to avoid misunderstandings. Agreed?

The way i was looking at it was that the Anatomy skill would work with the combat system AND it''s benifits would be very slight at first and build gradually to the point were it seperates a swordsman from a Grand Master. That''s in a human vs human scene.

The reason why i so for it is that it would give more depth to the fighting element of RPG''s and the like. Which i think is very important.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I think that you just need to be able to balance it... A hero with HUGE... arm muscles () is going to be burdened by them. In order to cary this weight, the hero needs to build up strengths in the rest of the body. Legs and torso ought to do it. . I can just imagine having a guy who had pumped up his legs beyond belief, without touching the rest of the body! ROFL... His legs are about the size of his body! HAHAH!

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement