🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Nature of Sound in Game Design

Started by
10 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

One element of Game Design that i''ve got i admit my ignorance too (lack of attention too) is the sound and music. The first thing i do is work of the power of the computer to know what my game will be capable of doing. From here i try to avoid concieving a game that relys to heavily on AI or Physics due to the rarity of these skills every becoming available to make the game happen.

But all this time now i''ve still been ignoring the value of the music and sound FX as if to believe that i can just get it chucked in later. I would like to ask my fellow game designers is this a fundermental flaw? And how serious do you think this issue is?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

ok, I''m a musician and a programmer and a game designer
And I always leave music and sfx for last.
Movies are made the same way.... they film the movie, edit it, add some overdubbs. The entire time they are editing they have a composer involved... he determines the style and then sets up some theme for everyone to follow.
I think it''s perfectly OK to leave the sound design and music contruction for the final phase of the creation of the game.
Of course, early involvement of musicians and artist is always prefered.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Advertisement
quote: Original post by FlameBOYant

The KingofKings.mp3 link does not work.

you built it up to be really good, now I wanna hear it!

I works really fine.I think you''re using a downloader integrated with your web browser(Godzilla,getright,etc.).
If so please try to disable any option for following the web browser clicks.And then try again.

This happens because i have no homepage in webjump.I have just uploaded files and so whenever you try to access a file it first shows an error page and then downloads it.

Hope this helped.

Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement