🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Surrealism in games?

Started by
17 comments, last by Moth 23 years, 10 months ago
I don''t know, it just seems like a different thought... you start playing, you don''t know what the goal is or if there''s even a goal at all, let alone how to reach it... and then find out that things are really really weird here, and keep playing because you want to find out what''s going to happen next. Would it be interesting? Just frustrating? Has it already been done? -Moth
Advertisement
There was this game called Sanitarium (and it was incredible, btw) where the whole premise was that you didn''t know who you were or what was happening, but you were in an insane asylum (to start). The game was really really really weird, and really really really cool. I''d definately recommend it.
Avernum (to a certain extent), SimCity, and "The Sims."

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.

Edited by - DarkMage139 on August 7, 2000 9:23:08 PM
- DarkMage139
Some of the LucasArts games like Day of the Tentacle where like that.
*sigh* There are not enough fish in games these days...

"Ok Eccles, stand on my shoulders, and pull me up."

RickTzu

Sine caffeae dedere spem deponere.
quote: Original post by RickTzu

*sigh* There are not enough fish in games these days...

"Ok Eccles, stand on my shoulders, and pull me up."

RickTzu

I resent that.

======
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

"Question everything. Especially Landfish."
-Matt
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I LOVE DOTT it was Da Bomb!
hehe
has anyone else seen this game before; if so, what did you think of it?!
lol

-mike
btw
DOTT = Day of the Tenticle

-mike
Hmm... DOTT looks Dr. Brain-ish, except without the vague attempts at being educational... and I don''t think SimCity is that surreal. Well, except for the aliens... but I don''t even remember if they existed in the original. Sanitarium looks cool...

I guess what I''m trying to think of is a completely non-goal-oriented game... and whether that would work. I guess it would be kind of like a book without a plot... boring. But what about poetry? Could there be a game-ish equivalent?

Surrealism sounds kind of neat, as long as you can work it in with the storyline of the game. If not, don''t bother.

Shrapnel Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement