🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ideas for space RPG?

Started by
0 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 10 months ago
A ship... A crew... A big cosmos to fight and explore and trade in... What would you like to see in a science fiction RPG? Features? Skills? Plots? Ideas for weapons, alien races, cool places to explore? So far I''ve got: 1) Own ships and bases 2) Customize ships and bases 3) Bionics + wetware for characters 4) Real-time tactical combat with periodic pause feature (for the turn-based folks) 5) Buy low, sell high trading and secret trade routes 6) Money for alien artifacts, new planets, bounty hunting 7) Cursed artifacts and planets ("Za Ha Dun..." :>) 8) Reputation system for your character and crew that NPCs respond to 9) Random encounters in orbit, on planets, in buildings 10) Randomly generated alien empires that fight each other as you play The game''s going to be old school, in the spirit of games like Star Control 2, Planet''s Edge, and Starflight. Graphics will be 3rd person, mix of 3D and sprites (probably 3D for random terrain and ships). I''m a few months into planning and input would be great! PS: If you like games like this, check out "http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/2571/SF3main.htm" for the latest on Starflight 3... -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Definately a feel that the universe is big, and you have little effect on it. My only complaint amidst heaps of praise for Star Control 2 is that every single space ship, friend or foe, that you come even close to immediately swerves to come say hello. Space is big. I like the idea of the player having to solve a problem that''s huge, but only on a personal scale. Say you need to save Earth. Pretty much no one else in the entire universe would really care what happens to that little rock, but it REALLY matters to the player.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement