🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Winsock or DirectPlay?

Started by
3 comments, last by Quantum 23 years, 10 months ago
hi i have been makin games for a while now using directx, and am wanting to add multiplayer support.... so should i start doing some research on winsock or directplay?... or am i way off track here?
Advertisement
DirectPlay is the easiest to learn. Just use the SimpleConnect demo included with the DX7 SDK and put your code on top of it. Took me a few hours to get everything up and running. You can test it by writing text to a DirectDraw surface containing your connection information. If it shows up correctly, you''re ready to go. Once DirectDraw is up, it takes a couple more hours or less to add DirectSound and Direct3D or whatever else you want to use.

Ben

I would also stick with DirectPlay, primarily since you are already using DirectX. With DP7, I don''t think it was as fast as winsock, but DP8 is supposed to be improved.

Don''t worry, you are right on track.

Shrapnel Games
thx a lot

i will start looking at the examples in the SDK now
Use winsock. It ain''t that rough, and you can use it for a job later in life. directplay aint too bad tho.

-BacksideSnap-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement