🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Onion

Started by
1 comment, last by ape 23 years, 10 months ago
This sounds like a Game Design thread just waiting to happen: http://www.theonion.com/onion3627/video_game_characters.html Anyone care to start a debate? Possible topics: 1. Cheap deaths, how to avoid this pitfall in game design; 2. Ostacles vs Enemies, when to use each; 3. Limiting character movement and the appropriate movement-enabling power-ups;
Advertisement
Cute. Couple of things come to mind...

Action-arcade games are all about timing, button-pressing, and spatial positioning. Within this context, you''re trying to beat a system. Death is used to tell you you''ve failed to beat this part of the system.

You don''t necessarily have to use death itself, but arcade games have a pretty strict "right" and "wrong" way to play them, and something has to reinforce this. Since we usually and automatically relate to death being a bad thing, it''s what''s most used. It''s an undesirable condition that forces us to try to do better.

You can stretch death out, make it more or less frequent, create varying degrees of it (the health bar), but it all comes down to letting the player know he''s not playing well. If you stopped doing this, you''d be branching out into another genre (not necessarily a bad thing).

Alternatives to death? You''ve got to reward success and punish failure. You could deny certain goodies and treats to a failing player, but if they''re required for victory that''d probably just make them fail more. You could not allow them to see certain levels (kinda lame). More radically, you could change the system as the player failed, maybe creating various types of failure... Lemmings comes to mind, in that you can get trapped Lemmings, the wrong Lemming in the wrong place, etc. Defender''s another great example... not just personal death, but the loss of humans creating NASTY monsters.

Unfortunately, though, when it comes to arcade games mechanisms, death is pretty hard to beat.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I think the problem is is that there''s to many developers out there salavating over there own games and forgetting to use their brains. This sounds nasty i know and its a critism about a field of work that i love and admire greatly.

The problem to me lies in the ability to value concepts, thats it!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement