🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Non-perspective 3D program?!?

Started by
9 comments, last by stevenmarky 23 years, 10 months ago
I''ve done this one in the isometric forum but I did''nt get much help, so i''ll explein it better this time. Basically I have a 3D program (truespace 3D) in which I want to create pre-rendered isometric tiles for my game like this (took me ages):- / \ / \ / \ / \ \ / \ / \ / \ / But because the 3D program is perspective (duh!) the things further away are smaller, and I end up with tiles that dont fit together, like this:- / \ -the further away points are smaller / \ / \ \ / \ / \ / \ / -closer points are bigger How do I stop this? please help. DX++ The DirectX Programming Site
Advertisement
Wellllll ...

I can see two solutions.
Either there is a magic option that you haven''t noticed that turn your renderer into a non perspective renderer.

Or, you simply render your tiles from the top, then shrink them vertically (for the ground).
And simply render vertical elements with a side view.

MMmmm not a very satifying solution :/

God if ou find a way through this, let us know !

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
by the way, my text diagrams got messed up when I made the post..
I should of used one of those special text boxes.

I''ll try what you said. Thanks

DX++ The DirectX Programming Site
do you have 3dsmax? in 3ds max you can use the User view instead of perspective view. i would hope truespace has a feature like this. the user view is like the autocad orthogonal view, but you can change the angles, so you can get the isometric view this way.

check the truespace camera settings and see if you can turn perspective off. if not, you can try this trick: i haven't tried it, but mathematically it should work. increase the fov to as far as you can get it. that'll flatten the image, and then you zoom into your scene. it should give you a flat-looking image.

a2k

Edited by - a2k on August 9, 2000 5:26:43 PM
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
3DSMax also has an option to disable perspective in the camera view, I use it all the time for my iso tiles.

Before 3DSMax let you do that I used another technique though. If you dolly the camera back from the object (WAAAAY back) and then zoom all the way in to your object you will lose most of the perspective "distortion." Keep dollying and zooming until all noticeable distortion is gone.

The user view rendering is another option, just render in those, no perspective.

No matter which method you use you will have to do some cleanup. So, I am not sure the distortions are going to matter "that" much. I have found that rendering iso-tiles is only half the work, touch-up is the second half.

-AG

that''s what i said.

------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Thanks.
I''ve looked every where in my 3D program and I can''t find anything like you said..and I can''t afford 3DSMax (even though i don''t know the exact price i know its a lot).

Is there a demo of 3DSMax downloadable or purchasable from the net?

DX++ The DirectX Programming Site
stevenmarky.
why not use the top, side or front views? I believe these are not perspective in truespace.

You can ofcourse create your iso tiles as you normally would but just before rendering you rotate them so they end up isometric from the top (or front or side) view.

I''ve done it this way in truespace 2.

Jaap Suter
____________________________Mmmm, I''ll have to think of one.
that''s EXACTLY what us MAX users were trying to say, but we didn''t know if truespace could do this. (it should though, otherwise it''s a crappy 3d program, which, i''m sure it isn''t) yeah, just click on one of the orthogonal views, top, left, front, whatever, and rotate about 45 degrees on two axes by "eyeing" it. but be sure to save this camera and export it into all the scenes that hold your 3d sprites, so when you render, they''ll all be at the same camera angle with eachother.

a2k
you have to use a front, right, or top view... then glue the whole scene together and tilt it..... to the right angle in either view.... the camera''s in TS don''t have a perspectiveless option that I know of... I may be wrong....
- T. Wade Murphy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement