🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG battle system idea

Started by
2 comments, last by OoMMMoO 23 years, 10 months ago
What do you guys think of a battle system that is 3d like final fantasy 7 or 8, but when it is your characters turn you can move him/her around like in the battle system in parasite eve. But you can attack from anywhere. Also where you are standing depends on your def and if someone is in front of you blocking, magic can hit all the enemies that are in the way of the spell and two or three characters can cast spells together for a different spell that is stronger and they also will gain compatability levels and will beable to use stronger magics together. Please analize this for me tell me what you think is good and what would not work. OoMMMoO
Advertisement
Sounds interesting. Are you sure you have the logictivs worked out? For instance, am I going to have to navigate menus while moving the character? What about multiple characters?

A game called Panzer Dragoon Saga (which I''ve mentioned very often on this board) implements a VERY FFVII-like combat system, but you need to keep track of what side of the opponant you''re on, and move around them to hit certain spots. It was very neat, and it never got boring, because even the easiest monsters could screw you up if you lingered in front of one of their danger spots for too long...
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Would each char have a certain time limit to how long they could act? Is this influenced by their "speed" stat or whatever? Is hit/miss determined randomly like in FF #?

Try renting a game called "Star Ocean 2" for the PSX. It has real time combat in it.

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
That idea sounds similar to the old AD&D battle engines used in the gold edition rpgs. When there is a battle, it goes into an overhead view, where you can case, move, attack etc. you move usingh move and arrow keys to get next to an enemy, and then attack them, or use attack or cast from a distance for ranged stuff. This system meant you good have battles with loads of enemies!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement