🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Personality Engine...?

Started by
5 comments, last by drtremmie 23 years, 10 months ago
i am having some thoughts in the direction of a Personality Engine that would be tied into all NPCs (this means "monsters" as well) to help govern their behaviour. the Personality Engine could be used at compile time to generate definitions for NPCs and then use those definitions at run time to determine appropriate behaviours for an NPC with certain traits. the idea is rather rough right now, but i am excited by the concept. i plan to look into various psychological models of personality and try to create a unified set of characteristics that work together to create a more realistic set of traits for an AI engine to enforce. too bad i do not know much AI.... any thoughts? opinions? ideas? etc... cheers, drtremmie -- Artificial Intelligence is better than Real Stupidity
Advertisement
Aren''t personalities governed by motivations or needs?
yes they can be. but how you react to a motivation is shaped by your traits.

for example:
motivation - hunger
solution - get some food
obstacle - has no food or money

PersonA - values own life but too proud to beg for handouts. is willing to steal to get what (s)he wants. action - steals food from shop.

PersonB - views stealing as a crime and does not like crime. values own life. action - begs for handouts.

this is a pretty simplistic example, in fact too simplistic to reflect the way the engine would work, but it shows how a reaction to a motivation/need can be shaped by a personality trait or belief system.

cheers,
drtremmie
Handled seperately. You just need to remember what alignment that character is, allow him/her different methods of solving the problem (like, if they are misaligned - stealing would be in their retinue, but working wouldn''t) and that way you just know what the characters need is and how they would solve it. Seems fairly on line with NPCAI if you ask me

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
I think this is a very well thought out Idea. In fact this has inspired me to make something of my time during what is left of this summer. Though I dont really have an idea as to what to do in order to accomplish such a task I believe that this is definitely a move in the right direction. There are too many RPGs that are very limited in the actions of the players, wouldn''t it be a nice change to see characters that "RESPOND" to your movements rather than "REACT" to them. Not just for RPGs but for any game. When you can take out the predictability of your enemies movements and replace them with self thought abilities than you have truly developed a worthwile game. It''s easy to develop a game that moves but isn''t it time for us as game developers to develop the game that LIVES.
PSYKEN-VOO....

The Sims

---

typedef struct{int happiness;int niceness;int activeness;bool friendly;int hunger;int thirst;int need_to_go_potty; // hehehe}NPC_PERSONALITY;            

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.

Edited by - DarkMage139 on August 10, 2000 9:25:21 PM
- DarkMage139
Chris Crawford''s been after this idea, if you didn''t know.(ohhhh, so *that''s* what he''s been up to all this time) 8P
This is his Erasmatazz page

His design doc for the Erasmatazz "story builder" is posted on this page, as well as some of his thoughts, and they''re worth a read, even if you dismiss him as a psycho and probably dangerous :X The man''s a complete genius. So why aren''t you looking at his page already?
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement