🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Machine Violence

Started by
9 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
I personally think that violence is at it''s most worst when it''s used in bad context. Like the breast example that you game ahw. But it''s also a case of an individuals conditioning to violence. A personal example of what i mean is that to me, violence in a war game is acceptable because i''m accustomed to hearing and seeing it in this fashion. Violence or Intimidation is can be used cleverly i think (see horror movies) without having to go to measures of pain and suffering. I think the pain and suffering is the real hidden issue here.

I find it difficult to say that violence in general is bad after reading the dictionary deffinitions of it. Many cases of violence in games are bad, there no doubt about that. Violence is a word that can be so easily taken the wrong way. People are so used to hearing the word in the same context as brutality, violation, harm and the like. But i''m side tracking here.

So what do i care about violence anyhow? Well i do spend some of my time tring to work out how a game can be full of action, thrill and the like without using violence. It''s not easy because i (like most people) have become conditioned to the use of violence in games to promote excitment, action, thrill and horror (which i love). And now i wonder how can i take out violence and still contain these challanging moments in games like Quake, Starcraft, incubation, and you get the picture. There''s a certain satisfation that people are getting from violence but i''m sure that this same satisfaction can be enjoyed without violence. I''m not talking about interlectual satisfaction etc just that blam blam blam kind of satisfaction.

Maybe humour? hmmmm maybe not?!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement