🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How does this work?

Started by
5 comments, last by kd7ike 23 years, 10 months ago
How does this board work? I couldn''t think of a better place to ask. End of Program c:\>
Yo no hablo mucho
Advertisement
it just does, ok?
That''s about as good an answer as any

The board is written using ASP and runs on top of SQL Server. Beyond that, I''m not sure what to tell you.
thankz for your time. Here is a better question, what is it programed in?

End of Program

c:\>
Yo no hablo mucho
odd... for me it looks like this is just an hacked version of the infamous UBB (www.ultimatebb.com), which is written in Perl.

personally, and with no offense, I think there has been done a bad job with some of the things... for example on some of the forums I noticed to know that the number of posts showned is sometimes -1 of what it should be, secondly, the c++ source feature uses non-efficient regexp which sometimes mess things up a bit.
I'm a CGI/Perl programmer myself.. and I know what it's like, reg expressions are my strong side.

Edited by - Aqutiv on August 17, 2000 6:44:23 PM
AquDev - It is what it is.
This board isn''t a hacked version of UBB, it was completely rewritten from scratch using ASP (with VBScript) and SQL. It only looks like UBB.

And yeah, there are some problems with it that are being worked on (not by me, by Mike). You can direct any complaints/suggestions to him.
The source tags are not an ''official'' feature of this board. They are something I am working on in my spare time, but people have been using them anyway. I''ve gotten plenty of bug reports on them, but I know they don''t work correctly already.

This is also written in ASP, and is not a UBBS hack by any stretch.

As for some of the bugs, some are simply a result of the massive amount of messages in this board. Over 100,000 to date.
As far as UBBS is concerned, it is a massive resource hog. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have over 10,000 files in single directories.

I''m a CGI programmer myself. I prefer C++ for pretty much anything that is really speed intensive, and can write extremely optimized code to perform critical tasks. One specific example involved the removal of html from a few thousand documents.. my program took 6 seconds, perls regex''s took 29 seconds.

Perl is great for some things, just not anything you need done fast.

---
Michael Tanczos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement