🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

PvP and Perm Death....Good combo?

Started by
65 comments, last by Princess_Stexxy 23 years, 9 months ago
ok a masive interactive rpg .. multi servers PvP and perm death.. would it work? Good idea or bad idea.. ? keep your answers short please.. im using this for a pole.. thank you.. =) (`''·.¸(`''·.¸Princess Stexxy¸.·''´)¸.·''´)
(`''·.¸(`''·.¸Princess Stexxy¸.·''´)¸.·''´)
Advertisement
Dont forget lag issues =)
The primary factor with regards to permanent death is how easy it is to die, regardless the cause of that death. Permanent death is bad in any environment where death can and does come quickly and unexpected. PvP typically is more dangerous then PvM but that is entirely dependant on how the game is developed and balanced.

I''m completely against permanent death myself. Why? These are games, and anything that is not fun does not belong in a game. If you think it''s fun to permanently lose that character you''ve spent hundreds of hours on, you''ve got a warped sense of what''s fun.
Ditto theRaskell. PvP + PermDeath == VERY_BAD_IDEA. Think how many kills it will take to make a pker happy. This yeilds the number of pissed off players who will abandon your service because they have to start over again and again.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Only thing permenant death helps is your frustration level at balancing your game. Like theRaskell and Wavinator said, games are designed to be fun. I''ve yet to meet someone who thought frustration was a fun thing.

Plus, like Anonymous said, what about lag deaths?

-------
Monkey eat deadCricket, checkmate!
-------Monkey eat deadCricket, checkmate!
If the players are paying... it''s a bad ideal.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
If the players are paying... it''s a bad ideal.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
I think that would actually be a pretty cool game. In my opinion, a game designed like that would actually reduce pking. This would be because death in current games isn''t that big a deal...but if it means the loss of your 100-hour character then it''s instantly the number 1 thing to avoid. Thus PKing would be treated as a horrible offense, and the PKer would be hunted down by the "good" players. Perm death also instills a much bigger sense of accomplishment, and makes player vs player battles a much bigger ordeal. Of course a game like this would probably end up with lots of gangs...
Patiently waits for the Fish of Land to start ranting
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
It won''t work. Here''s why:

1. Lag

2. Your mommy lifted the phone

3. I can''t eat now or someone will hack me in the back

4. Lag.

5. I spent 50 hours on this online game and died. Great lets start over.

6. I can''t save the game, i pressed the wrong button, like auto-kill in everquest and oops i died.

7. Did i mention lag?

8. Hold on I don''t have time to chat, someone is going to perm kill me if I don''t keep running. But heck who cares online gaming isnt about socializing anyways.

9. Damn the pizzaman is that the door, but I cant leave the computer cuz I''m gonna be perm killed.

10. Oops the boss is coming, but I can''t talk to him or I''m dead. And besides where is that save button?

11. Lag anyone?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement