🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How was this Forum developed?

Started by
0 comments, last by Memir 23 years, 10 months ago
I just read the FAQ, and it said that this forum system was developed by one of you guys. I was just wondering what language, (HTML/java-script/Java/???) this thing was made in. Also if any other tools are required to build something like this? Could something like this run on a Free web server page e.g 50megs.com etc? Suggestion: It would be cool if the rank of the person ''Initiate'' etc, had a picture. Maybe it would be better if a highly ranked person, say someone with >200 posts or something gets the privalige of a picture. This Forum is the *best* I''ve come across, but there must be ways to make it better!!! - Everything can be improoved!!! Ohh yeah, it could be cool if we had additional ''smiley'' type things e.g [''DirectX''] <-- would draw a picture of the Direct X symbol. [''M$''] <-- draw a picture of that gready company everyone keeps complaining about. Just my few suggestions - Remember were in the 21st century, show some innovation!!! /Memir
Flash Pool - Pool/Billiards game for Facebook (developed by Memir).
Advertisement
It was developed in ASP (the .asp extension gave that away). I''m pretty sure this forum was inspired by UBB, but this one''s much nicer because it has cooler smilies If 50megs.com (or the free web page hoster you''re using) supports CGI scripts, then you can use UBB btw.

quote:
Also if any other tools are required to build something like this?

What you need is a text editor and access to a http server that supports the language you''re using (Perl/CGI, ASP, PHP, etc) to make a forum like this one. If you''re planning to use databases your server also needs to support that.
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement