🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Save, Download Threads

Started by
9 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
I was thinking that it would be pretty cool if you could save/DL a thread in Microsoft Word format for safe keeping. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
I believe someone mentioned saving threads by clicking ''Reply to Post'', waiting for the entire thread to load, then saving the page to disk. It may be in HTML, but it would be a start. Maybe a member would be willing to write a ''converter'' the saved page into a printable HTML format.
quote: Original post by SonicSilcion

I believe someone mentioned saving threads by clicking ''Reply to Post'', waiting for the entire thread to load, then saving the page to disk. It may be in HTML, but it would be a start. Maybe a member would be willing to write a ''converter'' the saved page into a printable HTML format.

Yeah, a converter would be good! How about a icon next to the thread in the thread menu that would allow the thread to be DL''ed.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I would really likethis. I would also like for GDNet to sell CD''s with all the threads on them (past a certain date) so that we can browse through all of the old ones and see what kind of idea have been going on... This would really help for my doc... At the moment I have to open up each page to save all of that stuff, and I then have to transport the lot to my computer (as I need to access net from computer labs, and my phone got disconnected)..

D/L in even HTML format with one loooooong list of posts would be good also (I would love to see End Goblin Genocide with that )

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
MS Word format? Thats horribly unportable, bulky, and changes every year. Why not choose a format thats supported on more that one OS.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
I don''t know too much about formats so i won''t go any futher but if someone has some reasonable suggestions that may help make this idea a bit more feasible then go for it, Speak your mind

Our Goal is "Fun"!
First of all, HTML would be more suitable and second of all, it would take up too much cpu/bandwith on the server...I think
quote: Original post by nes8bit

First of all, HTML would be more suitable and second of all, it would take up too much cpu/bandwith on the server...I think

I''ll take your word for it nes8bit as i don''t know to much about the server the gdnet runs off, but wouldn''t a lot of it come down to how many people would dl threads? I guess that''s a hard to calculate thing.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
What would a converter be necessary for? They print out just fine for me... maybe your browser doesn''t handle dark backgrounds too well?
Yes and no, i was more or less looking for a way of having a more manipulative version of a thread. Thats another big problem actually... when you hit reply, it load''s up the entire thread which isn''t really nessaesary most of the time. It''s just a major distraction from checking our threads that have grown to a certain size. Once they hit about 8 pages i''m not interested any more. It''s stupid.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement