🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Health affecting Attributes

Started by
26 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by Chiroptera

Well, in the game I want to make, health will sort of be subsumed into something called ''mood''. If you spend a lot of time shot to heck, then you''re just not going to be very happy. Unhappiness has a negative effect on all your abilities. Which means that after a sound pummelling, your character will need to spend time not just healing, but taking some R&R to cheer himself up...

That sounds quite funny. Is it a serious rpg-like game? Or is the mood got something to do with the fact that the character is not quite human? Sorry if this offends.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham
Alexander the great died from the flu

And St Louis died from the black plague that he got during the crusades... jsut to say that, sometimes Nature takes it toll, and no hero is above that.
I think it would be kindof nice.
Some argued that death should be permanent, because it would occur during a fight, which would be extremely rare.
I guess there would be less heroism fighting a flu than fighting a horde of trolls. But I am thinking that we shoudn't make deceases too lethal, they would just be a reminder that life is short, and that you should take care of yourself. After that, if the players think that going out and rampage everything is a way of taking care of themselves ...

youpla :-P

Edited by - ahw on August 31, 2000 12:12:14 PM
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: ahw said
I am thinking that we shoudn''t make deceases too lethal

hmm, whenever I''m sick, stressed or unhappy, I get worn down -
you could say my attributes are lowered. But when I recover I
am as good as gold again.

So maybe we can teach players to treat there personas right.
If they are malnourished, under dressed, or whatever, then they
catch cold. This should *severely*, though *temporarily* reduce
their stats. I mean, REALLY make them weak. They ought to learn
their lesson and look after themselves after a little orphan boy
comes up and beats the crap out of them.

----------
Erick: i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance
Disco Love For Everyone
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
I really like this idea. But again implementing them in a game is another thing.

MMMM, With this rule Lara Croft would have die of cold (tomb raider 2) because of her way to dress....but would the sell have drops?

Will your game will be medival?

I can see it now: Gondorolo the Mighty Barbarian king slain by the plage (he shoul''d have stay in the poor part of the city).
quote: Original post by Delisk

I hope not, for gods sake

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Excuse me, but what is wrong with medieval?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the medival setting. I can see why you''d be tired of it though...I just hope you can stomach one more when my game comes out

Nobody has mentioned the implications of this system. If someone gets hit, they are at an immediate disadvantage. Depending on how you do it, this could mean the end of the match. You have to remember to avoid things like "One lucky shot, and the knight was felled by the old woman with the frying pan".

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

Original post by Delisk

I hope not, for gods sake

Yeah, a convert!!!!! (just kidding...)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
The character could start with a lot more health than in a normal rpg. This extra health would act as an attribute that i think has been missing in many a medieval rpg's called "hardness". With this in place character damage would be stumped so that it would allow the player to realise ahead of time that if they continue they are going to suffer more and more. So the player gets good warning that they should retreat for some medicine/health-uppers.

It reminds me of that saying - if you put a frog in hot water it will jump out but if you put it in cold water and heat that water slowly it will boil to death -

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on September 2, 2000 4:53:33 AM
I''d intended a fairly serious MMORPG. The mood idea was sort of a gestalt of things. For instance, I wanted cooking to actually be a useful skill. So food is one of the things that affects your mood. If all you ever eat is charred lizard innards because you''re a lousy chef, then you''ll get unhappy. And possibly suffer from malnourishment, but I don''t think I''ll make the players worry about a balanced diet...
Other things to affect mood would be being too hot because you''re wearing 8 layers of armor and treking through a radiation zone, or too cold because you stripped to your underwear in order to carry more stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement