🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Uh ... I barely dare to ask :

Started by
19 comments, last by ahw 23 years, 10 months ago
It just downed on me, that in my little wisdom, I still don''t know how death works in MMORPG. I mean, with all he fuss with permadeath or not, I never even imagined that you could actually not die... so how is death dealt with at the moment in MMORPG. I am *NOT* launching a debate on permadeath or not, I am actually trying to understand those people for who permadeath is a sacrilege. For me, it''s ... uh... I dunno since I dunno how it works. So please, tell me youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
As i understand it, when you die but not permenantly you are placed back in a spot on the map with only certain items, everything you were carrying (not wearing) is lost. In perma death you are no longer. You can not load up your character again, you can not be brought back by any other means other than a raise dead or resurrect spell. Ressurect spells usually only work within a small time frame of the character being killed. So non-perma death really means "loss of items or a level or something else like that" whereas perma death means "that''s it, you are KO''ed and out of the game/time to make a new character". I hope that helped, as this is my understanding of it anyhow.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
What kind of games must those people play except FPS ?
As far as I can remember, there are quite a number of games around, where when you die, you die. unless you saved earlier, but in this case, you know well that you are "cheating", and the reason you do it anyway is that if you had to replay the game up to that point, you could do it, but you wouldn''t discover anything new, so it makes sense to save/load.
But in an everchanging world, like an MMORPG, WTF is this artificial way of respawning ???
I am sure with a bit more thinking they could come up with something better, couldn''t they ? (hint hint, a better combat system where most of the time, you would end up incouscious, stolen from all your stuff, but alive ? see "Thoughness" thread)

thanks
I seem to remember in the original Ultima Online when you died you had to wander around as a ghost, it really irritated me because no-one could see you and only people with the correct skills could even understand what you said.

-Mezz
Well, I know it EverQuest, when you die you start with no items or money in your home town. However, you have a certain amount of time (usually hours) to go and find your corpse and take your stuff back. To make it even easier, they won''t let anyone else loot your corpse until you''ve looted it first. It really waters down dying IMO.

I think it''s handled in the same way in UO, though I can''t say, since I only played it twice before deciding it was utterly stupid .

----------------------------------------
"Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes." -- Deep Thoughts

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to show you how it's done." - Scott Adams
I think loss of stat points/items is in order for death, but permanent deah is bad in mmorpg. It is fine for people that have enough time to build/rebuild characters but not for the casual gamer.
An idea (even though no-one was asking) I've had for an MMORPG would be to have the player go through some sort of hellish abyss when they die. Upon death, they would be "teleported" to an Underworld, wearing nothing but "what they're mama gave them", but retaining everything the character knows and remembers in terms of skills, etc. The Underworld would be insanely difficult, and players could of course suicide their characters if they didn't feel escaping was worth the effort, but for the persistent, it would be possible to fight your way through hell & back, and be "reborn" a la Gandalf, stronger than ever and w/ some distinguishing mark of their triumph. (an insignia on their forehead, an "aura" or something") It would neither kill off hard-earned characters nor would it treat death lightly, plus it would add oodles of "cool" factor to the gameworld. Whatchya think?

Edited by - Anonymous Poster. on September 3, 2000 12:51:57 PM
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
mmmmh I like the idea, similar to the ghost concept, but this one would offer some interesting opportunitites for gameplay (since you wouldn''t have anything) ... it''s worth being developed more, methinks

youpla :-P

That''s a great idea, AP. It would add very much to atmosphere too."See that guy ? He''s got the Sign of the Reborn ! Don''t mess with him ."

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
I remember a MUD where if you died you came back as an undead. Which type depended on your level, and they all had rather severe limitations (mummies slowly rotted, vamps had to avoid all sunlight, zombies were slugs and I think they had their speech garbled by the host).

There were quests you could undertake to return to ''life'', but if you got killed a second time that was it - gone.

A decent compromise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement