🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Modern TextAdventure

Started by
18 comments, last by Eric 23 years, 9 months ago
I got this idea for a game....but im not sure if it is realy hot...or stupid. I want to recreate Text adventure. But the game will come with music, sound(Envirenoment and perhaps a narator)And images(Those will only be used to add a visual aid to the game). Rather typing the player will selct an action to do (by clicking on a button). Please tell me wth you think of this idea, and give yyour sugestions! Delisk
Advertisement
No offense, but I personally find text games boring. I guess I''m more of a visual guy It''s a good idea though, remember that you will need a good story to replace the graphical "candy" that most games use.
Peon
I had this idea once. Dumped it because I didn''t have a good writer, and good artists. Just didn''t have the resources

It''s a great idea. Images, perhaps even very short movies would be amazing. U wouldn''t have too many people buying it, but u''d definetly get a market.

The whole genre is very interesting, but it''s dead because there''s better stuff out there. If u''re good enough of a designer to spice it up, and you have good enough writer to give u a hell of a story(which is 51% of a job in this case) and good artists and musicians(which is another 48% of a job in this case), then the only 1% left is programming, and u''ll have a product I would definetly be interested in, and I''m not even into text adventures.
Ok im commun... i mean confused, why do you need 48% percent of the work done by artists in a text game? Does it come in a really big box or something?
I really like text adventures, and that sounds like a great idea, but I''d rather type than click buttons.

-Jussi
Pik : I think you have to understand artists in the wider sense of the words, that means people with a artistic sense, as opposed to coders... that are supposed to be illiterate (and God I know quite a bunch of them).
Personally, I think you would need MORE artists in a ''text'' based game than in a normal game.

May I suggest one thing, use graphics anyway, but not a graphic engine. Use nice background graphics that set an atmosphere but don''t draw too much attention. Have graphics for the people you are talking to, the monsters you encounter, etc. But nothing as fancy as a 2D tile engine or more ...
Just my two cents (I am actually thinking about the method used in Darklands, but you have to see it for yourself to understand).

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Sounds like Myst with a different interface to me :/

----------------------------------------
"Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes." -- Deep Thoughts
Sounds like Douglas Adams'' "Starship Titanic." Graphics and animation quite like Myst, but with an advanced text parser. {So good a robot could tell you to "fuck off" if you offended it in plain english.}
I agree 100% with ahw. Text adventures are great, they just need to be modernized a bit: Just create some background pictures for places and people and music sounds good to me, too. I don''t know about selling it, but I would surely download a a freewere text adventure if I could find one.

Hasta la victoria siempre!
We Shall Overcome!
A picture may speak 1000 words.
1000 words uses ~5kB.
A picture (which is complex enough to speak 1000 words) probably takes more than 5kB.

Therein is the reason we had text adventures many years ago: Not enough mem for graphics.

On the other hand, I think words tell a story better than pictures (for the time taken to produce them).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement