🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unreal Logic

Started by
11 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
Many games have made logical sence of game elements such as magic in order to cohess the player into a level of believability. The player knows that these things do not exist but they want to believe that they do. Kind of like a dream thats been temporarily brought to life. I''ve got my own universe that should work in a similar way. I''d like to bounce it off you people to see what you that so it can be critically anaysed. Even the most trivial points could be helpful in giving me new ideas to creativly solve logical issues. The universe is filled with a thick gas which can create fluids when exposed to strong centrifugial forces. There''s no gravity in this universe. When a planet spins its soft inners are pulled to the crust to create a hollow planet. When a crack appears in the crust of these hollow planets the heavy gases get in and are also pulled to the inner crust of the planet. At this points the gases turn to a water like liquid due to the centrifugal forces within the planet, creating interior sea''s and oceans. In some planets where certain minerals are found the centrifugal forces cause such a strong electromagnetic build up in these minerals (called magnetium) that these minerals emmit a beam to the centre of the planet of pure energy. This build up of energy in the centre of the planet can act like a sun and bring warmth to these lucky planets which in turn allow life to be created. There''s more but that will do for now. Anyhow, what do you think of a universe like this? I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
I think that''s more than consistent enough for a good fantasy setting. It sounds believable, even though a good physicist could probably pick holes in the possibility of universes like that.
I, for one, would be happy with a system that implements all these ideas well.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
The concept sounds interesting. It could produce some curious life forms the depths of the earth could be more inhabitable and so therefore instead of the strangest of creatures forming in the depths of the ocean (as they do now) weird land creature could form on the cold surface until the planet warmed up enough.

Anyway it does sound cool but what I would be more interested in is ideas you might have of incorperating of implementing such a universe. I know I have had conversations like this with friends before and it always sounds cool and fun but when coming to actually making somthing fun and playable out of it, it always seems like something easier to provide in a novel .
That doesn't mean we shouldn't try, it still a great idea, just interested in any ideas you had on where you could take it.

Edited by - sof on September 4, 2000 8:34:38 AM
______________________________It is entertainment not reality.
This is easily sufficient for a game background and sounds very plausible. I hope you use this not as pure background "why-because" but mix it into your game proper, imagine the different technologies that these life forms would create to take advantage of this strange universe.
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”
I see a comic (in french) with a similar world.

The heros were two (space cops) who were sent to a planet know to be desert (no atmosphere at all). They discover a lake...so they use thei ships to explore it...and they discover than the inside of the planet was empty.

There was pepoles living there, the planet core acting like a sun (there was no night. It was pretty cool.

This world abithant were rally surprised to discover pepoels coming from another world. They never even think about spce since they never see it, and they belive their world was the only thing to ever exist.

Delisk
I don''t like to rain on your parade, but if there''s no gravity, then what exactly allows these "planets" to spin while retaining their crust? If centrifugal forces still exist, then the instant a cloud of gas is disturbed, it would begin to dissipate, not form a solid form. Also, even if you did somehow manage to get a solid crust on a spinning orb, the cracks would cause it to become brittle and fragment.

I do like the concept, but I just can''t believe it, if you know what I mean.
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org
This reminds me of a book by Robert Forward where he describes an height shaped world. What is fun, is that he do explain how such a world could exist! Every aspect of the gravitational field is described... There is also a book where he situates the action on top of a neutron star Imagine a life not based on molecular exchanges but on atomic and sub-atomic exchanges.

Well all this to say that the important thing is the explanation wich turns this into something believable

"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Paul, that''s one hella interesting idea. sounds kinda fun and cool. If you want, i''ll email you and we can try to find out how to make it possible..

J
That sounds like it could be really cool. Having no gravity might be weird though, or some of the other stuff. I might say something that sounds scientific like...

In the future, as we started living on different planets, and after mastering the ability to travel at light speeds (or whatever), people started exploring the universe, and populating the planets. The human race has expanded and lives on planets all over the universe. ...blah blah blah... But then the universe collapsed back onto itself, creating a prebig bang nutron universe. The planets on the outskirts of the universe however were not affected by the gravitational pull, because they are so far away.
These planets now experienced new forces acting upon them (like the ones you said or something).

That is just an idea. I hope you''ve taken astronomy or something so you can understand the nutron universe theory (that isn''t the right name for it, but that is what I call it because it is a lot like a nutron star.) Stars can either explode, or collapse on themselves and become a nutron star. And there are 3 fates of the universe: 1) Collapse on itself 2) keep exanding 3) keep expanding, but then just kinda stop. So anyway in the story I said, the universe collapses, but instead of everything getting sucked in, only the stuff that isn''t really far away gets sucked in. Anyways, it would also be ironic in your story because, not only are the planets hollow, but the universe is also!
I didn''t mean to rewrite the story or anything, but having the people still living in the same universe, only a modified one, might enable them to have more of a grasp on the idea of it. Also living on the outskirts of the universe sounds cool.

-piksel
Piper's games
quote: By Assassin
I don''t like to rain on your parade, but if there''s no gravity, then what exactly allows these "planets" to spin while retaining their crust? If centrifugal forces still exist, then the instant a cloud of gas is disturbed, it would begin to dissipate, not form a solid form. Also, even if you did somehow manage to get a solid crust on a spinning orb, the cracks would cause it to become brittle and fragment.

I do like the concept, but I just can''t believe it, if you know what I mean.

i''m not a physicist but i do know a little about these things. I was thinking about making it so the universe has "Energy pockets". Within these energy pockets its not unusual to get tidal electro static charges that cause particals to pull together and bond. From this point bonded particals created magnetic charges that react with the fluid like charged space around them to form solid spinning planetiods.When a planet hollows its self out its actually fusing its innards with the crust creating an (sometimes) amasingly strong and resistant shell inside the crust. Crusts are usually elliptical in shape with many caverns that carry fluid leaving the planet. These crusts make the entire planets look elliptical when viewed externally from range. They also act as a filter which slows down the speed of the fluid leaving the planets which just happens to almost stop corrosion of the shell in the latter life stages of these planetiods. This is rare but they do exist and it''s where life is usually found.

That''s the surreal logic of it so far anyhow. Any other criticisms are always welcome. Thank you Assassin.

Here''s a little bit more logic of a planetiod that i was thinking of. Think of a spinning tennis ball and place a hole (called enterance) at the top and bottom. This is where the fluid gets into the planet. Next place two or four holes in the sides that are spinning the fastest. These are the exits for the fluid from the planet. The fluid is made up of "Stuff" that can make water when applied to centrifugial forces. Thus we now have oceans. When the fluid enters a planet from the top and bottom they create huge giza''s (fountains) which are pulled down on to the planets surface due to the strung nature of the fluid. The fluid is fluid due to its stringy nature and when this stringy nature is removed you get (almost) real space. Naturally there would be pockets of real space around the universe where there has been collisions and planets have become "over charged" which act almost like black holes.

Can you imagine a medieval world set in this universe? The giza''s are seen as god''s. You look up on a clear day and you can see the other side of the world. Magnetic rocks (or even mountains) increasingly grow in glow before unloading there charged state into the centre of the planet in brilliant light show that would seem magical. This would probably be where life starts on these planets. Have to create a word now for a magnetically charged mountains.

In a futuristic version of life in this universe civilizations could actually build ports that go through there planet and out into fluid space. There could be tidal currents in fluid space that act like worm holes.

quote: By Piksel
but having the people still living in the same universe, only a modified one, might enable them to have more of a grasp on the idea of it. Also living on the outskirts of the universe sounds cool.

I had a similar thought where this all occured in our universe and there was a point where space becomes fluid or starts to. The problem with this is is that you have to obey the physics of our universe then which is exact what i set out to completely remodel But it could probably be done anyhow it''s just not a task i''m willing to set myself right now. Maybe you want to?!

RE: Niphty
I''d love to talk about it more with you so please don''t hesitate to email me.

I really want to create new materials for this universe other than metals, glass, wood etc before getting into how lifeforms look and act. Something really different

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement