🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pick up and play

Started by
11 comments, last by kingy 23 years, 10 months ago
Pick up and play vs Read the manual for 30 minutes. What approach works best for games and why?
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”
Advertisement
In game tutorial, duh. ''Specially ones that make sense in context.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I like manuals, although in-game tutorials are ok too.But I think it also depends on what kind of game you''re making.

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Generally any game with a manual that would take 30 minutes to read could benefit from an In-game tutorial. Of course, you should also have a good manual for documentation, but hey.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I like chunky manuals for bed time reading , but i dont like to read em before being able to play the game.
So an in-game tutorial with a refernece book for bed time reading is the way to go?
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”
*don''t forget to add witty humor in manual and/or in game tutorial*

-mike
that makes bedtime chunky manual reading all the more fun
!

-mike
Oh and if it''s an RPG manual include some background story about the world it takes place in and that.
I personally think that you should teach the essentials within the game (Enough so the player can get deep into the gameplay). An leave tips and hardcore knowledge in the manual. There''s many possitives to this one of them is is that the box set for the game will be cheaper and piraters will not get the extra stuff that will bring out the beauty of the game.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement