🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pick up and play

Started by
11 comments, last by kingy 23 years, 10 months ago
Me, ever since playing Nintendo games and then computer games I like to just start playing the game and pressing buttons to see what happens. If I run into trouble, then i turn to the tutorial or manual. More fun that way Although if the manual contains a story or background info, i like to read that first before jumping right in. As far as I''m concerned, the tutorial teaches you how to play, and the manual backs up that info with a few more details (and not the whole tutorial recreated within it!) along with character/unit stats and backgrounds and the like.

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
Have a real nice in game tutorial that teaches you the interface, and there you go, you can PlaY the game. After that, you could have "perfecting" tutorials if you want to learn tips and tricks of the game (I am thinking mainly about RTS here).
But personally I love the feeling of a good manual and that smell of fresh paper in the morning (or was it napalm ?). There is something about having to learn on the battlefield as much as in the books that make sense. If you can learn all the tips and tricks of the game by playing it, then do so, but a manual has to be something of a collector, and it would be nice to put extra tips in it, just so that hackers/pirates don''t get the whole thing by getting the game. I mean look at any quakelike, do you REALLY need a manual to play it ??? No, but the manual is the only thing that the pirate won''t have.

Mmmh, I think I jsut repeated the idea of Paul C. just a bit more confused ... ah well

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
hey ahw, quit following me around will you? I hate being stalked

\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement