🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Numbering Posts

Started by
4 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
This probably sounds like one of my usually trivial little rants but it has a purpose. Sometimes one/myself likes to keep my post to a minium size in order to encourage people to read what i''ve said. Sometimes a post can become quite overwhelming in size after numberous quotings. I was thinking that a lot of this can be avoided if numbers are assigned to each post per page in a thread. This way you can reply to multiple posts quite easily by just writting something like RE: Jimbob pg2 post6 and later down RE: Jimbob pg2 post3? What do you think. Theres other reasons too like saving server space and if your going to quote an entire message then this would save the hassle. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
I think I get what you''re saying, Paul, but it might be too confusing. Or it might just be me. Anyway, I don''t know if the GDnet guy who made this message board has gotten all the bugs out yet, i remember hearing about quite a few stuck deep inside. So adding this might up his buglist.... you get the idea.

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I hear that loud and clear It would be nice to hear more about what they get up to here a gamedev. Maybe i should check out the home page more often than not!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
What if, rather then post numbers, each reply could have a subject line (just like topics have a subject line).

Also, unrelated, but It'd be nice if the "New post" button wouldn't appear inside topics, only outside. That way people wouldn't accidently create new topics when they only mean to respond.

----------------------------------------
"Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes." -- Deep Thoughts

Edited by - The Senshi on September 10, 2000 3:02:00 PM
I like that idea, it kind of reminds me of the sub-threads thread i made here a while ago but slightly different. These two idea could probably converge somehow, but i''ve got to rest my brain for a while. Time to watch some TV.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by The Senshi

Also, unrelated, but It''d be nice if the "New post" button wouldn''t appear inside topics, only outside. That way people wouldn''t accidently create new topics when they only mean to respond.

That''s actually something I''ve already changed in the "new" version of the forums I''m working on.

As far as numbering posts or adding topics to each posts, both would be far beyond the scope of what I''m able to do at the moment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement