🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Someone able to give me an example of a concept ?

Started by
8 comments, last by Ingenu 23 years, 9 months ago
I''ve a real problem I can''t (and don''t know why) find any concept in the games, maybe it''s due to a lack of example of what a concept is or something else... But the point is that I''m not capable of finding the concept of games. For example what is the concept of Rayman 2 ? What is the concept of Final Fantasy (VII, VIII or IX) ? When, and how do you define the concept of the game you''re working on ? I really need help on this... -* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Advertisement
Dont take me for gospel, but i always thought that a games
concept was the idea that it is founded on.

ie: Doom''s concept was that you play a space marine who has
to run around killing evil monsters in the first person.

The concept describes what the game is.
well thats my $0.02.

----------
Erick: i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance
Disco Love For Everyone
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
Thanks.

Concept as description...
Why not?!
I thought that a concept was brief and the ''soul''/''heart'' of the game, but I don''t know how to explain it for my own game.

If anyone can give me some more examples or definitions, please

If you are talking about concept as being similar to theme in literature, perhaps part of the problem you''re having is fessing up to the pitifully weak themes in some of these games.

Many games are built around the theme of rampant capitalism (Diablo, sometimes Final Fantasy) while others are built around the theme of wanton carnage and destruction (Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein 3D). There are some games that go beyond this, and most games have some sort of story that masks this undercurrent of theme,(oh no, you need to loot corpses so you can one day be the mighty hero to save the land) but if you see the content of a game as being in its gameplay, it is readily apparant the the real themes of most games are hopelessly shallow. And repetative. And somewhat sickening.

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
Thanks again

The question I now have (since I better understand what a concept is) is how do I define my game concept ?

Is there someone working on a game in here capable of telling me the concept behind its game ?

Are there some keywords that are often used to describe concepts ?

In case of doubt, and specially for over used terms like that, I like to browse my old dictionary

So there : concept, from the Latin conceptus (to receive);
An abstract and general mental representation of an object.

By derivation, you can assimilate it to the word "idea".

So what''s the "idea" of a Quake like ? *My* definition is "seek and hide" or eventually "tag" (kids games) ("cache cache" et "le loup", en francais)

Rayman concept would be "easter egg hunt". Evolve in an environment were you have to find specific object, and be gratified for the finding of those objects...

I haven''t played the Final Fantasy games, hence can''t really judge. But I think most CRPG borrow plot ideas that are very classic (ie, you can find them in a good writing technique book, which references I don''t recall right now).
Say, "free the princess" would be a concept of an RPG for instance... I think, but I am not sure. As I think "concept" is a way too generic word.

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Just a side note ahw,

I wonder if some of the most popular concepts out there are popular because they correspond to a familiar childhood theme (sort of an archetype for games). What I mean is, say "Hide and seek" or "army men" or "house."

One reason a game might be popular is because it reminds us of the fun of these childhood games. Quake with all it''s dodging and sidestepping reminds us of "cops and robbers" and "hide and seek." RTS games remind us of playing with plastic "army men." The Sims reminds us (particularly the female audience) of playing with dolls or playing "house."

Just a thought, no psych research to back it up...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
And perhaps RPGs because we liked stories as children?

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
Thanks to everyone.
I''ll try to find out the concept of my game and post it so people can discuss it''s validity / truthness...

Regards,
Ingenu

pacman, wavinator. You are holding your books upside down
This is what I am trying to come to on the thread I initiated.
We don''t like them because they remind us of ...
We MADE them, to be able to keep playing those games.
Basically, all we are doing is recreating those child plays.

Role playing is exactly what it means : playing a role. As kids we do that all the time (and I have even more the opportunity to observe it thx to my wee sister who''s 5).
I was trying to find a counter example to my theory, Tetris, but tetris is really just a game like Jenga (build up a tower of wooden bricks, as high as you can, before it falls).
If you have any counter examples, please try me

The conclusion I am trying to reach is that, all this fluff we put around our computer games is just an excuse to allow us to play without having the label "kid" stamped on our foreheads.

I realise I am totally OT by now, so I''ll continue all this bullshit on the other thread (So, what is a game ?)

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement