🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help

Started by
4 comments, last by Newbie101 23 years, 9 months ago
Let me ask everyone just one question. How do you usually start a design? I have lots of ideas but don''t know how to start one. Help please!
Proverbs 26:12------------------------------There is more hope for fools than people who think they are wise.
Advertisement
More descriptive titles please.

------------------------------
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

The first step is usually to create a proposal for a design. That way you know exactly what you''re trying to do. The proposal often includes a very short (1 or 2 line) summary of your project, a longer description of the gameplay and intended features, and an explaination of the resources you will use and the qualifications of the team making it. it doesn''t all have to be there, just the cream of the crop. The details will be in the design doc.

It''s a really good idea to make one of these, even if you plan on developing internally. The proposal clarifies things for the entire team, or even just for yourself. If you plan on selling out (ironic choice of words...) you want to try and "sell" your design as much as you can. Include info on "target audiences" and budget.

Be realisitic, but try to be optimistic as well.

That''s the really short version of a Proposal. There are lots of good references for Designers, which detail good proposals and full blow design documents. There''s no doubt about it though, a proposal is the place to start.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote: Original post by Newbie101

Let me ask everyone just one question. How do you usually start a design? I have lots of ideas but don''t know how to start one. Help please!

I have found an interesting read that may be of interest to you.
It''s a rather well written book titled:
Game Architecture and Design
By Andrew Hollings and Dave Morris
Published by Coriolis ISBN 1-57610-425-7

And of course, everyone needs a disclaimer, its the ''00s
<DISCLAIMER>
I do not have anything to gain by mentioning the above title and I''m not affiliated with the authors in any way. Except the fact that I paid out cash to read the said title.
</DISCLAIMER>

Dave"Dak Lozar" Loeser

GreatShot.com
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Thanks for your help everyone.
Proverbs 26:12------------------------------There is more hope for fools than people who think they are wise.
I second Dark Lozar''s book recommendation. The book is pretty good.

When I start a design the first thing I work on is the grand vision. This is what I use to guide me through the territory. I think you have a lot of interesting questions to ask yourself at the beginning: mainly, why do you want to do this idea in particular. Try to get beyond it''s cool. I think this will let you know what, exactly, it is you''re trying to accomplish.

From the grand vision, I''d start breaking down the game into sections. You''ve got gameplay (what I next start with), interface / controls, setting / background / story, and sound and visuals.

As you go thru the process I''d highly recommend getting help. Talk to friends who will listen. Post here. Don''t be afraid of getting shot down or saying something dumb, because no matter what response you get it''s information. It can help you grow, and tell you where you are in the design process.

Other than that, the steps you take are gonna be highly based on the game. If you care to talk about what you want to make I''d be happy to go into details.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement