🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What makes exploration fun?

Started by
12 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 10 months ago
I like exploration because I get interrupted every three steps by a random encounter! Wait, no that sucks. NEVER DO THAT IN A GAME! EVER! INTERRUPTION COMBAT SUCKS! IT SUCKS BIG HAIRY ASS!
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
If a game supplies exploration then i expect it to reward me for looking around. Sometimes the rewards are as simple as a an extra bit of detail to the story and sometimes is could be something like helping some poor wilderbeast who''s found its way into a hunters trap. When i say rewarding i really mean that there has to be something there worth discovering. I guess this is why i love creativity so much in games. Its fun finding things that i would never have thought of in a million years.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Exploration is fun when you can find something you have never seen before. If there''s 3 types of items in a game, there''s no incentive to explore just to find more of these same items. It''s quite the same experience as with the tech tree in a strategy game when you are playing it for the first time.

I would also use Deus Ex as an example.

-Jussi
Well, it''s man nature to explore (or rather to be curious).
I also like physical exploration and I wish the Might and Magic games had used their engine better.I don''t want to fight enemies...I want to walk up mountains, explore the forest and find a beautiful river, walk through the ice until I get to the next city....
Do you understand what I mean ? I like having an adventure, not just killing stuff and collecting money !

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
This is a message from God: "Rebooting the universe, please log off."
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement