🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Money competition rts's

Started by
36 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
I was wondering how many people would be interested if a game was made like Starcraft and you could go online and enter competitions. You would pay an enterance fee and go through a series of knock-out style comps in order to win money. I think it would be a pretty good idea. The only down side would be the fact that the only people who could play would have to have a credit card. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
I wouldn't be up for this, but I think it'd have immense appeal. Just look at the ladder games, where the only thing you really get is prestige for being the best.

You'd have to knock out the cheaters, though. Not only the hackers, but the kind of people (like in a recent game I played) that unally or obstruct you just for the hell of it. (If you never had allies and it was all deathmatch, then you'd only need worry about the hackers I guess.)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Edited by - Wavinator on September 8, 2000 5:20:55 AM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
pfff ... if it''s the colour of money, just go to the States and it will work big time, I have no worry about it whatsoever.

In dollar$ we tru$t !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I understand what you''re talking about ahw. Just one of those random thoughts of mine that i throw at you people. But it would be fun to be able to pay the bills from playing games wouldn''t you think?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham
...You would pay an enterance fee and go through a series of knock-out style comps in order to win money.

I would love to be able to pay the bills by playing games, of course after awhile staying on top, playing games, would turn into work... then what would you do for fun!?

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
I believe you can do it with golf games actually. I''d like to know how they keep it clean of hackers. Apparently they play for tens of thousands of dollars. I don''t know if they have to pay an entry fee though. Probably.

But if you could play for money in more games then you could actually build a business out of just doing that. You could even have game player headhunters. Ouch!

Our Goal is "Fun"!
PLease don''t think I say it''s a bad idea. That would be the opposite. I admire those ho decide to go and make of their hobby a work. I just hate the *principle* of creating money where there are only piece of paper, or silicon chipsets, or whatever.
It''s just .. so ... american. Yurk.. sorry to sound so anti-US, but this one is just over the top for me.

"
-this is a card bought in a pack of cards, that costs 15 Francs. There were 15 cards in this pack. How much is this worth ?
-Well, 800 Francs, it''s a Black Lotus.
"
d''uh ?!
Marketing fuckheads are actual magicians, with the sheer power of their minds, they can turn a 1 F piece of paper into 800 times it''s value. When I think there were guys in the Middle Ages that spend their whole damn life trying to find the Philosophical stone !!!

quote: Original post by ahw
It''s just .. so ... american. Yurk.. sorry to sound so anti-US, but this one is just over the top for me.

Everyone is always bashing Americans. But, I think your wrong in this instance... Seriously the entire world is trying to make money! It''s not just an American thing or otherwise everyone else would be begging us to give them money

Being a capitalist is not synonymous with being an American... There are capitalist in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, France, England, Spain, Italy... need I go on?

I suppose what I''m trying to suggest is that you don''t bash someone just because they were born a different color or because they were born on the other side of an imaginary line. To me this is pure and simple biggotry and shouldn''t be tollerated.

I have had the opportunity to live overseas (Germany) and also travel extensively through Europe and the Middle East. Although cultures were different and languages... we had one fundamental thing in common. We were humans. The sooner we all drop the lines that divide us, the sooner we will have peace and harmony.

I realize that you will probably be angry with me for stating this... I hope that you will not. In fact, I hope that you think twice before you make a statement like that.

As for me... Having lived overseas... I can understand why Europeans don''t like Americans. But, you still have to remember that everyone is an individual. And when you group them up, you strip away that individualism.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
yes, that's why I say sorry to sound so anti-US ... you've much more things to be blamed for than creating capitalism

Ahah, OK, I'll stop this stupid kind of notes, but basically, the rule of thumb I give myself is, it's OK to have ready-made ideas, as long as you're to forget about them whenever you meet an individual. And quite happilly, sometimes, and in this forum in particular, I am happy to be proved wrong.

What really pisses me off in our present discussion is simply the ever growing influence of marketing ... and in my own little head, I see Americans as the evil capitalists ruling the world with dollar$, just like you would see us as rednecks liveing in some God forsaken place smaller than Texas

No offense intended, really ...

Edited by - ahw on September 8, 2000 8:16:56 PM
Screw politics people we are here to make games and hopefully some money. If there was no money involved with making games i doubt any of you would be here today. That includes myself! Period.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement