🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Staying motivated

Started by
17 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 9 months ago
This has probably come up before, but I''m curious what you guys do to stay motivated when you''re working on a design. I''ve found it useful to actually play other games as if they were mine sometimes helps (if they''re close enough) ''course, this can backfire, as I sometimes end up wishing it was mine... -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
What i do is to take on tasks that i know i can complete. Once this task is done i get a confidence boost from that. I then use that confidence boost to get me started on the next task. and on and on. Naturally just being involved in making games and having fun also players a big role too. Although i occasionally take a break to clear my mind for a week or two then come back refreshed. I hope this answers you''re question appropriately from me.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I agree with Paul. Additionnaly simply talking with friends on your game, or making them play your alpha version is very motivating too.

Delphi::Athena
Delphi::Athena
We had an agreement in our team that we would commit ritual suicide if can''t finish the project, that''s enough motivation.

Seriously, if your design is good enough (and ours is), you won''t want to stop working on it. There may be times of frustation (as there always is with everything in life), but you will continue.

-Jussi
Jussi,

That''s funny. I think you get a big boost when you''re working with other people. You can trade ideas and feed off of each others energy. This is why it sucks being solo right now

Paul,
Thx, yeah there''s nothing like success to inspire you. For instance, I was not in the mood to work on my design last night, then I reread some stuff I''d already finished and got all jazzed. But you''re right that it''s also important to know when to take a break, too.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Only design what you''re interested in. If you lose interest, one of these probably happened:

1. it was too big
2. it was something you don''t like

For #1, try something smaller or get some buddies to help!
For #2, pick a different game.
I dunno for you, but for me it''s all about inspiration. I need a Muse in general, and when I haven''t, I jsut like to create for the sake of it. The inspiration comes a bit like a tidal wave, once in a while, I get a big creative rush, and jsut can''t stop it, and other times, I''ll just be craving for an original idea (in those times, I just practice what i know).
So far, the only thing that can *keep* me moticated is a Muse, and I don''t have one ... so :-P

-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by Wavinator

That''s funny. I think you get a big boost when you''re working with other people. You can trade ideas and feed off of each others energy. This is why it sucks being solo right now

Ah, yes, of course. The downside is, more often than not our design meetings wander off topic until someone says "should we concentrate on the project for a while?"

-Jussi

Jussi,

--------------------

Yeah, being solo does suck at times. It''s hard to give your focus adaquately to all parts of the development. I''ve got all these ideas on the more abstract, design side but I''ll be too stuck on some technically part to really do anything with it....and vice versa.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

Jussi,

That's funny. I think you get a big boost when you're working with other people. You can trade ideas and feed off of each others energy. This is why it sucks being solo right now
--------------------

Yeah, being solo does suck at times. It's hard to give your focus adaquately to all parts of the development. I've got all these ideas on the more abstract, design side but I'll be too stuck on some technical part to really do anything with it....and vice versa.

Edited by - Nazrix on September 13, 2000 3:56:20 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement