🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Staying motivated

Started by
17 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 9 months ago
Actually, I like being solo, even though it''ll take me two years to finish the damn thing (if ever, right?). It lets me do whatever I want, without having to please other people with my design. Technical problems do hurt motivation, but that''s what sets us apart from the rest, eh? Being able to get to the help file and read our eyes red!

I think I''d add to Buster''s list by saying:

3. You split the game by not sticking with the design, and instead of recoding half the thing, you give up.

For #3, make a desgin doc, and stick to it!

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
Advertisement
Well, the design team for our MMORPG, here at VenuSoft, aren''t around each other durring the day. The company is contracting two of us (Myself included) out... and the other two are in the office. We meet (almost) every Friday for 3-6 hours to discuss the design. And some of us get together for lunch during the week, when possible. We have a message board where we can post (document) our ideals.

Now staying motivated has been difficult... especially when your waiting for funding.... ... ... but, you have to want it bad enough.

Perserverence is the key.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
I have been spending my time designing my extensible (does ''extensible'' really exists in Webster''s?) script based engine and that is hard too keep motivated on. I was in a group that got bogged down since some people didn''t care where the project was going, and the rest wasn''t sure where they wanted it to go. Needless to say I left the group for multiple reasons. Anyways, it is hard to stay motivated to do anything, especially for me, since there are so many distractions, and so many other things that sound neat that pop into your head as you are going along that form distractions.

I am left thinking that if I play games I hate a lot of things about, I''ll stay on course, get my engine done, and get a demo together that I won''t hate.
. Dak, there's something that rings a bell upon what you said. All i can say is to value the people who've you got. Especially the one that seems to be the centre of attention, this is because this is the person with the vision. The golden rule of games is to follow the person with the vision. Remember that!!!

VISION IS EVERTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on September 14, 2000 1:46:10 PM
Money! Money! Money! Lots! Lots! Lots! Lots!
That''s how we motivate ourselves in Canada!

Cheers

Meduzza
Paul:
You are correct... 100% correct. And yes we do have one member that everyone revolves around. 3 of us have taken that personality test over at thespark (I'm not sure I put much stock in these kinds of test, but interesting none the less). Here is how everyone (3 of us) is suppose to get along:

Dak            Judge   Kressilac      Artist    91%Noonway        Mentor    56% 

All of us seem to revolve around Kressilac... and he is the one with the vision.

If any you guys are working in a team, run on over and give it a whirl... It seems to correspond acurately to other (Myers Briggs (sp) is one) test that I have been forced to take at various employers along my career which cost big bucks! So, you cant go wrong with free

Also the mix of types is very nice, and although Noonway and I are only 56% compatible, we get along great at times, so... I reiterate that these test only deal with numbers and not real personalities... you get the point.

Meduzza:
Glad to hear capitalism is alive and well in the "Great White North!"
Actually... we are close to sealing _a_ deal... at least that's what the big guys tell me

ps. If you want to see how you would get along with me... after you take the test, you can enter your email address and then add other peoples email addresses... my is entered as it appears on this board.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Edited by - Dak Lozar on September 15, 2000 8:41:39 AM
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
<>
OMG !! this is so true wouldn''t you be a Libra, Dak ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
woah! this test is really cool!!
im a mentor (Submissive Extrovert Abstract Thinker )
HAH! I''m an ACCOUNTANT!

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement