🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

36 dramatic situations...

Started by
28 comments, last by ahw 20 years, 2 months ago
I knew it was still around, and at last I found it again An excellent link. What do you think we could do with that, in the context of games ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
use it ?

Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
This is a message from God: "Rebooting the universe, please log off."
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
another relavant link

Those situations are incredibly useful... they can be applied to a model for generating stories - and therefore the pure nonlinear story game.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
and once again, I ask :
How could we decompose this into easily modifiable, reusable, building blocks ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Diablo uses a random map generator which pieces together maps by using predefined building blocks (rooms/areas). This way the game manages to have random maps which is still navigateable and looks fairly good.

Maybe this concept could be taken one step further and we could build random stories of similiar "story building blocks".

For example when you first enters a city a "save girl from evil wizard" quest is generated. The game then selects two of the NPCs to play the girl and the wizard and set up their stats, motivations and so on accordingly. Once the game has used this "story building block" the random story generator could then go on and select from a new set of "building blocks" which is compatible with the first one, until all (important) NPCs have a role to play.

Next time you play the game (with a new character) a new stories/quests may be generated and the roles of the same NPCs may be totally different.

Regards

nicba
We all have a lot of courage bringing this sort of thing up on a forum moderated by the Landfish

Stories pieced together randomly like the mazes in a murder-based game?!

It is an interesting conecpt though. I''m still trying to think it through, but having to actually work plus all the alcohol still left in my system from last night is not helping.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Nazr, if the result was any good, I''d play it. I just don''t think it can be done...
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Actually, Landfish, the piecing the story together idea is a bit much. I find the idea very facinating, and like talking about it. It's loss of too much control even for me

I am more thinking of doing something like what we were talking about in the Quest Analysis thread. Make the quests very loose as far as what the player can do, but still pre-constructed. As ahw was saying, I am thinking of using a finite state machine to let the quests react to what the player is deciding.

The generating stories from compenents is interesting though. It might be more suitable for an MMOG.

Edited by - Nazrix on September 11, 2000 7:19:17 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
There actually is an existing formula for generating fairy-tales. I''m sure it would be simple to come up with one for a romance novel (fortunately-unfortunately would be its basis), or a fablieu. But the formula for each of these would be totally different from each of the others, so you would have problems if you wanted the basic type of the story to be flexible.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement