🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

YAQOS

Started by
8 comments, last by ahw 23 years, 9 months ago
Yet Another Question On Sprites I am still wondering, in games like, say UO, where your character can changes weapons, clothes, etc. How the heck to they do the gfx ? I mean, I can see the option where you would make a barebone model naked, and then draw the clothes on top of it. But if I want different models ? Do they *build* the character sprite by using some sort of layering technique ?? mmm, I wonder
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
I dont claim to be a programmer but i do a littl ebit of stuff in sprite. Basically for that, you would have a different set of frames for everyhting. one weapon would have a set and everyother one would alos have its own set. In sprite, if you want ot change the walking graphics file, you write a line that says change the file when an event happens. for a 3d game it is soort of the same i guess since you would just load a different model. but think most 3d games are set up so only the weapon changes which is simply a switch of models occuying a certain joint. who knows if that made any sense

"Why does my life have to be so hard in every world?"

Nanami Jinii
OK, I think I wasn''t clear enough in my question.
BAsically, I get the method, I have done a bit of this already. What I don''t know, because I didn''t try, is how do you deal to know if parts will cover or be covered by the other parts of the sprite (if you build you character sprite from parts, that is)

So if I have a sword, the hands shouls cover it, but if the sword is in front of the sprite, it should also cover some parts of the guy, so how do you know what you draw over, and what you draw under (that is, you don''t draw) ...

youpla :-P
Layers the only way that I could figure. In Flash 4.0, there''s a set of layers that you could lock objects to certain layers or unlock it. They just draw stuff, then lock it which makes it into a background. They could also unlock that certain object and lock it onto the foreground. You could also do this to clothing and weapons and so on.

I once hired this gfx which does it in almost a similar fashion. Using Photoshop, he creates nude sprites, and then weapons etc etc. He draws the weapons onto a transparent background. When he needs to, he paste the weapon to the sprites but changes the layers in which he puts it into. I''m not sure how everyone does it though. Everybody has their own technique.
i''ve never seen UO, (okay, i''m deprived) but would it possibly be that they''re just all prerendered? i''m assuming by the usage of the word "model" that they start with a 3d model. if this is the case, then, yeah, it''d be prerendered, but if not, then, hell, i don''t know what the freak i''m talking about.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
a2k : well, with nowadays technology and total inconsideration for users HD, I would say that there is reasonable doubt to think that all is prerendered. But think about it (I''ll use bogus numbers):
I can wear 10 different types of helmets, 10 different set of cloth/armor, 10 different weapons, I can have 10 different faces, and I can be male or female...
8 directions, I dunno how many animations (let''s say ..10 ?)

that gives us 10*10*10*10*2*8*10 sprites = 1 600 000
OK, now I ask you again... does that sound believable ???

plus all the creatures monsters, plus all other f*cking gfx for the game .... err, no way, there is a nice way to do it. But how ?

I think I''ll have to do a drawing to show ye the problem I am seeing ... god damnit, I widh I had Photoshop installed

if I remember correct, sprites in UO are split into body parts, so I guess they are "assembled" on the fly when needed.

When you equip a sword, it just loads a new set of "hands" with a sword in it. The rest of the body remains the same. Clothing, IMHO, is drawn upon the actual body part.

I can only assume than the different body parts are drawn in a certain order depending on the position (ie hands are drawn last when facing down, draw first when facing up, etc).

Monsters, if I remember well, always carry the same weapon or no weapon, some of them (skeletons etc) are probably cut in parts too, while others are just one "part".

Does that make sense? Uh.. I''m not sure about all this stuff actually, but you can check into the multimedia files with insideUO (sorry don''t remember the url but a search on yahoo should do it) and see if the sprites are actually cut or if I''m just dreaming .
I don''t have UO anyway, but if you know of any place I could actually see the damn sprites ...

As well, yeah your post makes perfect sense. That''s just the practical side I am bothered with here. I would have done it that way, it''s just the problem of when do you know which part is covered or covering. I am thiking particularly about the weapons here . If you are wielding a sword, which part of the sword is covered by the hand, and which part covers the hand ...
hey, or maybe cut the hands in two ! the palm, and the fingers that cover the weapon !!! Oooh, have got to try that ASAP !

Maybe you could give the character no hands, and make their hands occlude any other body part. Then if their hands are empty, use an ordinary hand sprite. If they have a sword in their hands, use a hand with sword in it sprite.

------------------------------
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

yeah, that''s what popped in my brain in the previous post
But I immediately thought "yeah, but if I want different gloves".
Hehe, so I guess I am gonna have to sit down and draw as soon as I get my hands back on a good gfx software... at least now I have some ideas.

Does anyone knows about sprite making tutorials on the net (I am looking for it on altavista right now, but it doesn''t seem very common :/ )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement